• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Ultra Violet Version for sale

brendon

The Kaleidescape Store now has Ultra Violet versions of some of my movies for only $1.99...

When did that happen?

Thanks for pointing this out. This is really interesting! Per the site:

"Upgrade your Blu-ray discs to a disc-free digital copy and you will no longer require a disc in a player or Disc Vault."

So when I get low on slots in my M700, I can purchase the UV version for $1.99 and free up a slot.

John

Great news... $1.99 doesn't buy much space in a vault!

Hopefully one day vaults will no longer be necessary.

Anybody confirm we still get the Blu-ray quality? I am pretty jazzed about this, as I can free up 73 slots in my vaults.

Okay, this is the way it works......(You can see exactly what you are buying when you select a movie for purchase).

First, the $6.99 upgrade still applies to owner's of DVD that want to upgrade to HD (BR) quality.

The $1.99 upgrade offer is for those that already have the Blu-ray version of the movie on their Server. If you select "Your Library" from the first page menu (upper left side) in the Store, you will see an option to "Go Disc Free...". Selecting this will show you the movies in your system that can be upgraded to the Store's HD version for $1.99. In addition to receiving the UV copy, you will be able to download the HD copy. Downloading this HD copy will allow you to remove the BR disc of that movie from your Vault. You MUST download the HD copy in order to go "disc free" because the tags that allow playback without the disc present are embedded in that HD download version. You can then delete the BR version on your Server. This is the language you will see when purchasing the $1.99 Upgrade:

"Because you already own this movie on Blu-ray disc, you can upgrade it to go Disc-Free, eliminating the need to have the disc in a player or disc vault. The upgrade also includes UltraViolet rights for mobile playback, and can be downloaded to as many as 5 Kaleidescape systems."

In that "go disc free" section of your library you will also see $1.99 Upgrades for some DVD movies in your system, BUT, this is not for the HD version, it is to upgrade to the Ultraviolet copy. This applies to the DVD version only.

Don't bother asking if you can keep the BR version on the Server and remove the disc if you pay the $1.99, the answer is "No" you must download the HD copy in order to remove the physical disc from your Vault. IMPORTANT: Although you can remove the BR disc from the Vault, you must keep the BR physical disk in your possession, as you currently do with DVDs (unlike buying the full priced HD download).

Nothing has changed with hardware, you will still need an M-Class Player in order to playback HD content from the Server.

Jim

Last edited:
So I am guessing I would have to delete the old disc version of the Blu-ray on my server then and run the new downloaded version? That is ok but it will take me a while to download that many titles. I need to check and see if I have a bandwidth cap. Too bad they need to have a new title but that isn't so bad a hurdle.

Jim, thanks for the details.

This is great. I will be able to free up vault space and I have some BR that do not have scenes marked that I can now download and get the version with scenes.

John

No Mike, the two copies (BR and HD download) can co-exist on the Server if you have the space. I do plan to download first and then after checking the copy I'll delete the BR version.

Jim

I was surprised to see I had 176 potential BR upgrades in my library.:eek:

Jim

Yes, I know the two can coexist. I will want to clear out the disc version once the download version is on. I found out that I get a one time free pass on blowing over my data cap, so I figure I might as well make my freebie worth it.

Sorry Mike, I read your question as asking if you had to first delete the BR version to download the HD version (which you do not.....for anyone reading this).

Jim

I kicked all mine off last night, 30 - 60 mins per blueray consistently so far (about 35 completed so far).

Great feature, i'm very happy they offered this!

Are the replacements flagged "[UV]" or something equally obvious, or is it more crap-shoot/hunting the web interface to pick the one with discs in the vault?

Are the replacements flagged "[UV]" or something equally obvious, or is it more crap-shoot/hunting the web interface to pick the one with discs in the vault?

The downloaded versions will appear in the browser interface /movies page with a Type of "Blu-ray Quality" whereas the imported version will have a Type of "Blu-ray disc". From there, you can just select each of the duplicate movies (choosing the ones with a Type of "Blu-ray disc") and click the "Move to Trash" button. Doing that will not only delete the duplicate movie from your library but will also automatically queue the relevant discs for ejection from your vault. Then just go press the "OK" button on the front panel of your vault and the discs will be ejected.

The $1.99 upgrade offer is for those that already have the Blu-ray version of the movie on their Server.

So it only works for those imported, not just in-system? Darn, could be useful for dealing with titles that refuse to import but are at least identifiable.

If it's not already imported (part of your library) then there is no way for the store to know to make the $1.99 upgrade offer.

Jim

I have upgraded all the Bluray titles I can to Ultraviolet. I am wondering why some titles cannot be upgraded. For example, I was able to upgrade the TV series Chuck from DVD to Bluray for the low upgrade price, but to upgrade the TV series Supernatural there is no discount.

There also isn't an ultraviolet version of some other television series I have, like Terminator, Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Anybody know if more titles will be added to the DVD to Blu upgrade program and to the ultraviolet upgrade as well?

To help clarify our offers, we are now offering two different types of upgrades:

1. Upgrade to Blu-ray Quality and Go Disc-Free
Benefits
i. For $6.99 you can upgrade from DVD disc to the bit for bit Blu-ray Quality Digital copy
ii. Download up to 5 Kaleidescape Systems
iii. Watch on any mobile device with UltraViolet
iv. No need to have a disc physically in your system to enjoy Blu-ray Quality audio and video

2. Go Disc-Free – with UltraViolet
Benefits
i. For $1.99 you can go from DVD to DVD Quality or Blu-ray to Blu-ray Quality, either option will be in the bit for bit quality you select
ii. Download up to 5 Kaleidescape Systems
iii. Watch on any mobile device with UltraViolet
iv. No need to have a disc physically in your system to enjoy Blu-ray Quality audio and video

In either case, we are not downloading the UltraViolet copy to your Kaleidescape system, we only download the bit for bit version of the resolution you choose. UltraViolet rights will be checked into your UV locker, so you can enjoy your movies on the go. Also, this offer only applies to titles that have their UV rights enabled.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks,
Brian Fairbanks

UV Film Store/s?

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks,
Brian Fairbanks

Hello! First post here. Very excited about UV and Cinema One. I notice differences in the available movie titles; Kaleidescape vs. VUDU for instance. "newer" UV films are missing from the Kaleidescape store, yet VUDU seems to have every film available from the Kaleidescape store, Plus VERY recent releases. Should we expect all UV titles to be available in the Kaleidescape store eventually, once your team has completed their scene/bookmark magic? Thanks!

Back