• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

UK pricing of hardware

RedHodor

Hi,

Having been using our system for just under a year now we've almost filled our 6tb server and are looking to expand the storage (and provide some backup in case of failure).

However pricing for components in the UK seems ridiculously high.

The compact 22tb can be had for $10k in the US. Here in the UK its over $16k. Even factoring in import duty and our 20% vat it's vastly more expensive.

I worked out it is literally about $3000 cheaper for me to fly to the US, buy a unit from a store there and fly back to the UK.

So before I embark on this round trip, does anyone know whether a unit purchased in the US will work here in the UK (I assume so as it would be the power supply that is the relevant bit that accepts 230v), would Kaleidescape honour the warranty?

Or is there a way of buying from Kaleidescape direct and shipping to the UK to save me the $3000 or making a 24 hour trip to the US and back to buy a terra?

Any advice appreciated.

The UK is a ******* joke on pricing of all tech and everything in general. K is off chart in that regard because of its starting value but it's no different to Apple etc. And before the **** show that was B**** you used to be able to buy reasonably prices kit "new nor nearly new" from Europe (Germany in particular) and ship it to UK no issue and no extra risk or cost... Anyways, that's all I say before everyone get a rant post :)

So to answer your questions:

• Yes, all K equipment works in the UK, the power adapters are autoswitching so you just need to change the kettle lead
  • (Same goes for Apple; everything works fine except the power leads are US naturally but you can use a travel converter)
  • Warranty is honoured but it's in the country of purchase they honour it in. (same as Apple)
  • So the challenge you may get is with your "dealer", having to switch it to UK from US or vice versa and then you also have the fun of the distributor in play. In the UK this is Pulse. I won't comment further.
  • If you import it via drop ship you run a high chance of import duty and VAT
  • You can't claim it as a gift
  • You are still liable even if it is you repatriating your own stuff!!
  • It used to be hit and miss but since B**** much much more, particularly stuff that is tech (K ships with their name on the box) is being opened
  • If you personally ship be very aware of the difference between DUP and DDP
  • Prepare to cry when it comes to Harmonisation Codes...
  • If you fly and get it (funny how this is now a thing again 20 years on from when it last made sense) - and this goes for anything - try and remove as much packaging as possible. Set it up before you bring it back. It is therefore already used and not new.
  • It would naturally need to go in the hold so use a very good suitcase(!) or buy a decent one out there - Briggs & Riley would be my choice.
  • Chances of getting pulled on arrival are again low but there is always a chance, same as it being damaged in transit - see above :)
  • Beware of your luggage allowances :)
  • Higher the class, the more luggage allowance you get and more likely you can just breeze through customs on arrival....
  • Don't ask me how I know all this... a good friend told me...

Hope all that helps :)

Things are generally easier now with tech as things standardise more (radio frequencies, connectors etc. Careful on some things though, green laser is not allowed in the UK but is in US, so a presentation pointer in the UK willl be red but will be green in the US. Hardly likely to be pulled up on it but just in case... and yeah I'm sure there are variants to this if someone wants to get really into it but that's the headline version...

The UK is a ******* joke on pricing of all tech and everything in general. K is off chart in that regard because of its starting value but it's no different to Apple etc. And before the **** show that was B**** you used to be able to buy reasonably prices kit "new nor nearly new" from Europe (Germany in particular) and ship it to UK no issue and no extra risk or cost... Anyways, that's all I say before everyone get a rant post :)

So to answer your questions:

• Yes, all K equipment works in the UK, the power adapters are autoswitching so you just need to change the kettle lead
  • (Same goes for Apple; everything works fine except the power leads are US naturally but you can use a travel converter)
  • Warranty is honoured but it's in the country of purchase they honour it in. (same as Apple)
  • So the challenge you may get is with your "dealer", having to switch it to UK from US or vice versa and then you also have the fun of the distributor in play. In the UK this is Pulse. I won't comment further.
  • If you import it via drop ship you run a high chance of import duty and VAT
  • You can't claim it as a gift
  • You are still liable even if it is you repatriating your own stuff!!
  • It used to be hit and miss but since B**** much much more, particularly stuff that is tech (K ships with their name on the box) is being opened
  • If you personally ship be very aware of the difference between DUP and DDP
  • Prepare to cry when it comes to Harmonisation Codes...
  • If you fly and get it (funny how this is now a thing again 20 years on from when it last made sense) - and this goes for anything - try and remove as much packaging as possible. Set it up before you bring it back. It is therefore already used and not new.
  • It would naturally need to go in the hold so use a very good suitcase(!) or buy a decent one out there - Briggs & Riley would be my choice.
  • Chances of getting pulled on arrival are again low but there is always a chance, same as it being damaged in transit - see above :)
  • Beware of your luggage allowances :)
  • Higher the class, the more luggage allowance you get and more likely you can just breeze through customs on arrival....
  • Don't ask me how I know all this... a good friend told me...

Hope all that helps :)

Things are generally easier now with tech as things standardise more (radio frequencies, connectors etc. Careful on some things though, green laser is not allowed in the UK but is in US, so a presentation pointer in the UK willl be red but will be green in the US. Hardly likely to be pulled up on it but just in case... and yeah I'm sure there are variants to this if someone wants to get really into it but that's the headline version...
Thanks,
I based my cost calculations on paying the duty and VAT at customs. It still works out about £2k cheaper than buying in the UK.

I'm assuming the UK distributor is taking the pish with markups and hence the UK price here, but for £2k I'll be buying one in the US and tag a holiday on rather than just throw that money away for exactly the same bit of kit.

I could take the compact terra in hand luggage/carry on I believe, doesn't have any lithium batteries. The power adaptor etc can go in suitcase.

I could understand pricing for the players and the tech, but several grand for what amounts to little more than raid disc drives is ridiculous. Not sure how long I'll stay attached if streaming of uncompressed files becomes a thing.

You need more than a day as seeing the city is a must too - a long weekend is nice :cool:

Thanks,
I based my cost calculations on paying the duty and VAT at customs. It still works out about £2k cheaper than buying in the UK.

I'm assuming the UK distributor is taking the pish with markups and hence the UK price here, but for £2k I'll be buying one in the US and tag a holiday on rather than just throw that money away for exactly the same bit of kit.

I could take the compact terra in hand luggage/carry on I believe, doesn't have any lithium batteries. The power adaptor etc can go in suitcase.

I could understand pricing for the players and the tech, but several grand for what amounts to little more than raid disc drives is ridiculous. Not sure how long I'll stay attached if streaming of uncompressed files becomes a thing.
I’d say since Brexit all us imports have tariffs , import duty, different vat rates etc, when you buy from the US they don’t include US duty so 23% (or so) cheaper.

Attachments

• 1691926254519.png
    1691926254519.png
    128 KB · Views: 7
Has anyone actually imported from the US via a courier?

if so, was the process complicated, how did you handle shipping, customs clearance, and so on?

Or is it simpler to just fly over and collect when on holiday?

Has anyone actually imported from the US via a courier?

if so, was the process complicated, how did you handle shipping, customs clearance, and so on?

Or is it simpler to just fly over and collect when on holiday?
Now the first thing is , will your supplier give a low value when shipping? Are you willing to accept that it could be a problem if anything happens in shipping? Secondly you should use a post onward company as it will be cheaper (prob free to this address) like Myus.com.

Back