• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

UHD Title Availability Comparison (K vs. Disc vs. Vudu

JohnJ

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I did some research for a post on another forum that I thought would be interesting to people on this forum.

I was looking at titles available by studio for Kaleidescape, UHD BR Disc and Vudu. I realize that Vudu does not compare in video and audio quality but it gives a data point as relates to availability. Here is the compilation:

UHD Disc Titles
Fox: 39
Lionsgate: 30
MGM: 0
Paramount: 17
Sony: 46
Universal: 47
Warner Bros: 45
Other 16

Total UHD Disc Titles: 240

Kaleidescape UHD Titles
Fox: 0
Lionsgate: 0
Paramount: 0
Sony: 108
Universal: 0
Warner Bros.: 48
Other: 50

Total Kaleidescape Titles: 206

Vudu UHD Titles
Lioinsgate: 0
MGM: 6
Paramount: 5
Sony: 0
Universal: 27
Warner Bros.: 57
Other: 5

Total Vudu Titles: 100

It surprised me a little that Kaleidescape came out so well in this comparison. Here are my observations:

1) K has almost as many UHD titles as are available on disc although this is mainly due to the additional titles from Sony and "Other" titles.
2) K has twice as many titles than Vudu despite what I perceive as much more leverage that Walmart should have. All-in-all, K seems to have done a very good job of negotiating content for UHD so far.
3) There are studios that just don't have a lot of UHD titles yet and when looking at streaming/download options the only other studio that has a fair number of UHD titles is Universal (27 titles on Vudu).

Notice that MGM does have UHD titles available on Vudu - this surprised me as I hadn't heard anything about them going to UHD.

My preference for future studios additions to the store for UHD is:

1) Lionsgate - over the past 3-4 years my impression is that this studio has the most new releases per year of any of the majors (I haven't analyzed the data to verify).
2) Universal
3) Fox
4) Paramount (when considering both UHD and HD this would move to the top!)

We will see how things play out going forward.

Feel free to add comments and/or observations.

John

Interesting, nice work John, thanks for taking the time to research and share the results. There are more UHD titles coming to K soon, from several of the Studio's you noted, and I am hopeful (and optimistic) that we will see Paramount this year.

Jim

Thanks John! Gotta love Warner Bros.! The most consumer friendly studio. They've fully embraced UV, almost always have bonus features, and clearly lead the pack in consistency in releasing UHD titles across all platforms.

Thanks for the great work John. I agree with your conclusions.

Thanks for the info Jim and Billy. I agree about WB. I remember their early and strong support of DVD in the mid 1990s.

It's interesting to look back and see that the best first Studio when the K store started would be Warner Bros. They had by a large amount the most titles available. The same is now true for UHD - the one you would want first is Sony.

Jim, glad to hear there are more UHD titles coming. at least I am the type of person who enjoys the anticipation.

John

It is interesting. I'm not so sure there is any one studio that I am dying to have over the others, they all have interesting movies that I appreciate. I hope they all come on line.

Kscape marketing... .
'We won't tell you what's coming, but we go the extra step... We don't even tell what's here now!'

Well done johnj. That's really interesting. 106 titles available on Kscape that are not on disc!

I wonder if the Sony difference is due to their 'Mastered in 4k' blu-ray disc series. Perhaps these are the titles that Kscape has but are not available on a UHD disc.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

I did some research for a post on another forum that I thought would be interesting to people on this forum.

I was looking at titles available by studio for Kaleidescape, UHD BR Disc and Vudu. I realize that Vudu does not compare in video and audio quality but it gives a data point as relates to availability. Here is the compilation:

UHD Disc Titles
Fox: 39
Lionsgate: 30
Paramount: 17
Sony: 46
Universal: 47
Warner Bros: 45
Other 16

Total UHD Disc Titles: 240

Kaleidescape UHD Titles
Paramount: 0
Sony: 108
Universal: 0
Warner Bros.: 48
Other: 50

Total Kaleidescape Titles: 206

Vudu UHD Titles
Lioinsgate: 0
Paramount: 5
Sony: 0
Warner Bros.: 57

Total Vudu Titles: 100

It surprised me a little that Kaleidescape came out so well in this comparison. Here are my observations:

1) K has almost as many UHD titles as are available on disc although this is mainly due to the additional titles from Sony and "Other" titles.
2) K has twice as many titles than Vudu despite what I perceive as much more leverage that Walmart should have. All-in-all, K seems to have done a very good job of negotiating content for UHD so far.
3) There are studios that just don't have a lot of UHD titles yet and when looking at streaming/download options the only other studio that has a fair number of UHD titles is Universal (27 titles on Vudu).

Notice that MGM does have UHD titles available on Vudu - this surprised me as I hadn't heard anything about them going to UHD.

My preference for future studios additions to the store for UHD is:

1) Lionsgate - over the past 3-4 years my impression is that this studio has the most new releases per year of any of the majors (I haven't analyzed the data to verify).
2) Universal
3) Fox
4) Paramount (when considering both UHD and HD this would move to the top!)

We will see how things play out going forward.

Feel free to add comments and/or observations.

John

Now that the Kaleidescape Store has 5 of the 7 major studios (we still waiting on Lionsgate and Disney), here is the updated list of titles available from K, UHD BR disc and Vudu:

UHD Disc Titles
Fox: 44
Disney: 4
Lionsgate: 45
Paramount: 32
Sony: 74
Universal: 58
Warner Bros: 53
Other: 8

Total UHD Disc Titles: 318

Kaleidescape UHD Titles
Fox: 24
Paramount: 11
Sony: 124
Universal: 30
Warner Bros.: 66
Other: 60

Total Kaleidescape Titles: 315

Vudu UHD Titles
Disney: 3
Paramount: 9
Sony: 2
Warner Bros.: 67

Total Vudu Titles: 119

Kaleidescape and UHD Disc titles are about even (although each are missing titles that the other have) while Vudu is trailing behind with only a third of the content.

John

Note: Source for UHD disc availability is blu-ray.com.

Back