• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Troubleshooting amber lights

mark

Hi

I'm new to this forum and wonder if someone can help me troubleshoot my Kserver 2500. When I boot up all seems OK but then I get the amber lights after c 1-2 minutes (although individual drives and network status remain blue) I also get no communication with it via the web. I have looked at the troubleshooting hints on the Kaleidescape site but they seem quite technical and require a Windows based PC while I am wholly mac. I have disconnected/ reconnected, rebooted server, switchbox, d-link modem etc a number of times but it doesn't help (!). Can anyone help please?

Hi mark

Welcome here. When I initially setup my system I had the amber lights on 2 occasions. On both occasions it was a faulty network lead. Now im not saying this is your problem but it is a very good place to start.

Rgds

P

Last edited:
Hi

I'm new to this forum and wonder if someone can help me troubleshoot my Kserver 2500. When I boot up all seems OK but then I get the amber lights after c 1-2 minutes (although individual drives and network status remain blue) I also get no communication with it via the web. I have looked at the troubleshooting hints on the Kaleidescape site but they seem quite technical and require a Windows based PC while I am wholly mac. I have disconnected/ reconnected, rebooted server, switchbox, d-link modem etc a number of times but it doesn't help (!). Can anyone help please?

It sounds as if the server is having a network issue. If you are on a Mac try the following url http://my-kaleidescape.local/installer/login.html . If you can not connect then it's a network issue and you need to contact your dealer/installer.

If you can connect then click on the "Diagnostics" tab and look at the section called "Duplicate IP Address" and see if you have duplicate IP address. If you do then you need to contact your dealer/installer to fix it.

If you do not have any duplicate IP address then your fine there. Next, click on the "Components" tabs and in the "Server" section click on settings to see if your servers network setting are set to "DHCP" or have they been manually entered. If it's set to "DHCP" then that can be the causing of your issue. Your installer should have set it to so the IP address is manually entered.

Check the above and then post your findings.

Last edited:
Thanks both of you for the replies. I have replaced the network lead but it makes no difference. I have also tried the URL, again with no success - so I guess it is a network issue.
Unfortunately I don't have a local dealer/ installer and the system is some 4-5 years old.

Do you know the static IP of the server? Ping the IP and see if you get a response...

I would recommend getting your hands on a PC with a serial port - even if you have to borrow one. Run the RS-232 diagnostics and see exactly what is going on with the server.

If you can't get a PC, borrow a laptop or netbook. Use a USB to serial converter and a null modem cable and you should be good to go. You will have to install a program called Putty which will let you capture the diagnostics stream coming from your sever.

It is possible you have a drive that has gone bad and is hanging the system. I had that happen. Replace the drive and you are good to go but you need to find out which drive it is. Or it could be another problem but the best way to tell is to run the diagnostic. It may suck, but sometimes even if somebody is completely bought into the metric system they might need a 1/2" wrench. I think that is why the French invented the croissant wrench.

If this system has not been used on your network before (or is new to you), then it may have a static IP address (as suggested earlier) that your router is not capable of assigning. Stated differently, it be trying to use an address that your router was not configured to give. By way of example only, your router may be configured to give out numbers in the 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.199 range, but the server may be trying to us a static address such as 192.168.0.10. In this example, the router will not let the server on the network.

Try the procedures recommended by Kaleidescape for dealing with a server with an unknown ip address:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/support/knowledgebase.php?article_id=50150000000LTFuAAO

The suggested procedure can be used with a Mac.

Yes, that's right....your components need to be on the same subnet as the DHCP server/router, even if your components are static IP. Do as Mr P suggests, it really is a straight forward process connecting a PC to the serial port and capturing a log file using the Putty terminal program. I wouldn't worry about the USB to serial adapter (if you have a desktop Windows PC), just go buy a dedicated MOXA serial card and plug it into a spare PCI slot and you're good to go. They are so cheap and come in handy for doing firmware updates if you have other components that update via RS232. The log file should tell you all you need to know to diagnose your problem.

Back