• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

THX Introduction

Kyleh215

Is it possible to have the "deep note" or a custom introduction play every time a movie plays in a certain zone? Or do I have to create a script for every film I want to play in my theater?

Its a huge part of going to a movie theater and I'd really like to include it in mine

Afraid that's not possible. Browse through this "scripts" and the "feature requests" areas of the forum and you'll find I'm one of the active and vocal owners bemoaning "what could have been" with the completely half-baked scripting commands and the importing/exporting/sharing of scripts and scenes.

Kaleidescape has probably put the nail in the coffin of all of this with their new "authorized" (Kaleidescape-supplied) chosen scenes. It doesn't remove our ability to make our own scenes, but it pretty much ensures that the average user will never even investigate what this set of features can do since they now get some "chosen" scenes from Kaleidescape. I suspect we've seen the last of user-supplied favorite scenes here on this forum, and I doubt they're being exchanged much anywhere else. A bunch of people here created thousands of great scene files, but the whole concept of sharing these never took off.

Personally, I believe that it was self-fulfiling prophecy on Kaleidescape's part. Release a feature that was never well implemented, with a terrible UI (uncharacteristic for Kaleidescape) and then look at the stats and say "huh! no one really uses that, so let's not work on it much." If it had been well done in the beginning, I think it would have been used. Want to see the most NON-Kaleidescape UI and bizarre interface things ever? Just try importing scene files for movies you own and watch it try to match to scenes you already have. Half-explained symbols like (*), scenes showing up in Italics that is supposed to mean a matching name to what you have (doesn't always work), and no de-duping or updating ability so you end up with duplicates as you reimport files from users that may have renamed a scene. It's pretty much a disaster, but they neither fix it or kill it. A real shame.

Anyway, rant off. you're asking for something reasonable but not really possible in an easy way. If they even had script commands with variables, or simple things (requested here on the forum) like a command to play the first movie in a collection, then what you're asking for would be simple.

If you really want to get fancy, you can do it with TCP/IP-control of your players... it's not all that tough. See the example I gave of Sync-Play, which I implemented for my home. (Ability to make the same movie start PRECISELY at the same time on multiple players). It works by creating a script in a text file using commands Kaleidescape has made available (with decent documentation even!). The script can issue commands to one or more players. It's pretty fun to monkey with this stuff.

If you're proficient with AppleScript, you could probably do exactly what you want. But even on other OS's you could easily do it with text files that issue commands to your players to do what you want.

--josh

We have a similar program executed by a home automation controller. Every time the Player starts, a random THX, DTS, or Dolby Trailer starts. When it ends, a music mix album is started and the Covers Screen is selected. I enjoy listening to music while surfing for a movie to watch.

Control4 has an affordable single room controller with IP drivers for Kaleidescape that could be used to setup similar scripts and also control lights and AV equipment.

We have a similar program executed by a home automation controller. Every time the Player starts, a random THX, DTS, or Dolby Trailer starts. When it ends, a music mix album is started and the Covers Screen is selected. I enjoy listening to music while surfing for a movie to watch.

This is a good alternative and I will implement this also but I would prefer to find a way to insert a THX or dolby digital trailer just before a movie starts.

I've been trying to create a Kaleidescape 'script' to enable playing a music CD movie overture track prior to playing the actual Blu-ray movie. The same methodology would also be used to play movie 'exit' music at the conclusion of the movie to further enhance the Kaleidescape theatrical experience. Since Kaleidescape scipting apparently does not allow Management of CD's loaded onto the Kaleidescape server, I've copied the CD music onto a DVD and loaded this music DVD onto the K server, but unfortunately, the script only selects the created music DVD but will not commence playing it, and the script 'hangs' at this point.

Is there a way use any of the Kaleiidescape 'commands' within the Kaleidescape script creation process to enable either playing a specific CD track or start a created DVD playing?

Any and all assistance will be appreciated.

Make a scene of the track on the DVD and then play that scene instead of playing the disc?

Kevin D.

Thanks Kevin.

Creating a DVD music scene sounds like a great idea and a potential workaround Kaleidescape's lack of scripting CD support.

Will try this option soon.

We had to do something similar in our self demoing theater at work. Shutting the door triggers an event and we had to play music while the projector warmed up.

We made a scene from a concert DVD, but glad the idea worked for just audio.

Kevin D.

I found a simple solution to play a custom intro automaticly:

My K is controled over RTI. The following actions occur when: a.) the "Play Intro Flag" is set, b.) K is playing movie Content

- When both is true, RTI rises an Event to play the script "Play_Intro"
- At the end of the script K sends a custom Event "Resume_Movie" to RTI
- with this Event triggered by the twowaystring Driver, RTI makes a pause of 2 seconds and then send the command "play". This will automaticly start the movie selected in the Movie-Guide

Works realy nice and within this time Windows, the user will not see poping up the Movie-Guide.

Only Thing to think about, ist when and how to set the "Play Intro Flag" ....

Back