• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Thought I was done with discs...

dla26

But my local Redbox has The Batman, Dune, and No Time to Die for purchase on 4K UHD for about $5-6 each.

But my local Redbox has The Batman, Dune, and No Time to Die for purchase on 4K UHD for about $5-6 each.

I do get the $5.99 often with Redbox as well. Especially for movies that on K never go down in price.

Dune, matrix 4, no time to die etc for 5.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had them for months on K… They are on the K store.
I actually have Dune and No Time to Die on K as well. I think I got them for $14.99 each at some point. The Batman is $34.99 so getting the disc is a no brainer. If The Batman comes down to $9.99 at some point, I may get it on the K store as well for the convenience factor.

It’s Warner pricing that just seems out of alignment with most other studios. Good example….

I personally think they would make more money if they lowered their prices as folks would purchase more…

They would make more money if they opened the K-store to the rest of the known universe and not just the U.S., Canada and U.K.

Instead of buying physical discs and paying $10/disc + shipping to get them bookmarked I'd rather use that money to buy the digital download. I'm sure it would be cheaper for me, and more revenue for Kaleidescape. The $10/disc wouldn't cover staff labor time for the work they put into manual bookmarking.

They would make more money if they opened the K-store to the rest of the known universe and not just the U.S., Canada and U.K.

Instead of buying physical discs and paying $10/disc + shipping to get them bookmarked I'd rather use that money to buy the digital download. I'm sure it would be cheaper for me, and more revenue for Kaleidescape. The $10/disc wouldn't cover staff labor time for the work they put into manual bookmarking.
I am confused- so you prefer to buy the disk, and send I to K for bookmarking... but downloaded movies are already bookmarked... are you running disks in a carousel and saving money by buying the disks and having them bookmarked, instead of buying them already bookmarked and ready to watch as downloads? Is that savings difference what you are talking about here?

I'm in Australia. I can't download from the K-store. My only option is to buy the disc and send it to K for bookmarking. K makes nothing out of that equation. Actually it costs them money because the $10 processing fee wouldn't cover the labor cost for the work. If I could download, then they would make some money. That was my point.

I'm in Australia. I can't download from the K-store. My only option is to buy the disc and send it to K for bookmarking. K makes nothing out of that equation. Actually it costs them money because the $10 processing fee wouldn't cover the labor cost for the work. If I could download, then they would make some money. That was my point.
Oh! Gotcha. Is K going to open the store in Australia anytime soon?

I have no insight on that. However, I suspect if K was going to open the K-store to additional markets they would have done that by now.

They would have to acquire the online distribution rights for their content for Australia. It is very complicated actually. The same movie could be under MGM in the US but Sony in EU or elsewhere. These rights also expire. They would have to renew the distribution rights every so often. Distribution rights are often under the same entity for North America. That’s why the Canadian store has almost everything in the US store. The UK store is significantly weaker because most movies are under different studios there.

On top of all this, Australia has a very different tariff on film distribution than the rest of the world. By law, studios can not enforce region coding on physical media for example. It was a good old trick to flash the firmware of your region locked North American market Blu-ray or DVD player with the Australian firmware to make it region free :)

I am a big advocate of the system. I hope they see other markets and offer more coverage. On a separate note, I have a bunch of Australian import Blu-ray discs. None are bookmarked. I assume you haven’t mailed those in yet ;)

How aggressive is Kscape in policing VPNs? If it's not much of an issue for them, you might be able to set up a VPN at your router so that the system thinks it's in the US.

How aggressive is Kscape in policing VPNs? If it's not much of an issue for them, you might be able to set up a VPN at your router so that the system thinks it's in the US.
VPN is not the issue. The difficulty is the payment method. You must have a credit card on file issued by a US bank. K accept my credit card to pay for the loan appointments, but they won't accept it for K-store purchases.

...On a separate note, I have a bunch of Australian import Blu-ray discs. None are bookmarked. I assume you haven’t mailed those in yet ;)
That's right. I'm the one paying $10 a pop to get the Australian content in the movie-guide up to date. After that everybody else in the known universe can take benefit from that. Bookmarking used to be a free service and K paid shipping both ways. Under that arrangement it was no big deal. For me to get 20 discs bookmarked now costs me $300. I'd rather spend that money in the K-store.

On a separate note, does anybody know if the Kaleidescape "Disk Search" App identifies whether a movie has bookmarks in the movie-guide database? Before I buy a movie on physical disc I'd like to know whether I'm going to be up for another $10 on top of the purchase price. I don't like having content on my system that doesn't have video bookmarks.

That's right. I'm the one paying $10 a pop to get the Australian content in the movie-guide up to date. After that everybody else in the known universe can take benefit from that. Bookmarking used to be a free service and K paid shipping both ways. Under that arrangement it was no big deal. For me to get 20 discs bookmarked now costs me $300. I'd rather spend that money in the K-store.
Have sent you a PM

On a separate note, does anybody know if the Kaleidescape "Disk Search" App identifies whether a movie has bookmarks in the movie-guide database? Before I buy a movie on physical disc I'd like to know whether I'm going to be up for another $10 on top of the purchase price. I don't like having content on my system that doesn't have video bookmarks.
PM also sent.

It does not. That's an interesting feature. I'm not sure what it would take to add that. I'm also not sure how good the coverage is in our barcode database for Australian-market discs.

Back