• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The Ultimate List of Kaleidescape Store Titles That are Significant

I need help with some of the firsts here on the store.

What was the first title ever added to the store on launch?
What was the first HD title added to the store?
Grey Eagles was the very first title added to the store and was also the very first HD title added to the store.
Fun fact: in the early days of the store (when it was in pre-release and available only to dealers), it was the only title available.

Interesting. It came on an Alto I purchased. I deleted it thinking I could re-download it later.

When I worked at FOX and we launched the news channel in the mid 90s the entire NY facility was set up on D-VHS. Every piece of tape you saw on air was playing from that format, even what we were shooting on BetaSP in the field.
This is great to know. I believe JVC HM-DH400U was the only commercial deck. I owned one briefly. It could record 40 hours of digital 480p video on a single tape. I believe the DF-480 tape could hold 50GB of data. There was nothing like that in the early 2000s until flash storage got larger and cheaper a decade later.

Trivia: There was also an analog HD VHS format called W-VHS, mainly in Japan but JVC officially imported one model to the US market briefly in the late 90s. There are no pre-recorded movie tapes to my knowledge. I believe there were a couple of documentaries and some demo tapes released in the format. The great benefit was it could record 1080i (1035i visible) video from its component inputs on to analog VHS tapes in High-Band format.

Last edited:
Grey Eagles was the very first title added to the store and was also the very first HD title added to the store.
Fun fact: in the early days of the store (when it was in pre-release and available only to dealers), it was the only title available.

Is this that title?

Is this that title?

Yes.

Back