• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The state of movie guide bookmarking

mpierson

I'm finding that more and more Blurays I import onto my system are not bookmarked, saying simply "Play Disc".

I can understand some of my more obscure titles appearing this way - such as the Avengers 60's TV series in Bluray - but recent high profile titles I've imported recently are not bookmarked either. "No Country For Old Men", "There Will Be Blood" and "The Wire (Bluray)" are some examples.

Given that one of K's main selling points is still skipping the warnings and menus, does anyone know why this is?

Might it be because these are Region B Blurays (I'm in the UK)? If so I really don't want to be paying to send such high profile discs off to be bookmarked, as I'd expect movies like this to be properly bookmarked in the guide.

Or is it that K is simply not putting as many resources into bookmarking, given the emergence of Encore?

Would really appreciate people's thoughts or insider knowledge ;)

I have imported season one of "The Wire" and was surprised that it was not immediately identified. However, after I entered the UPC code K added bookmarks for various episodes and cover art. Their support team is really outstanding about adding cover art, cast and and other information for titles that are not initially in their database. Usually the information appears in two to three business days after I enter the UPC code.

Agreed, they're really good at basic cataloging (name, cast, artwork etc) of unrecognised discs when you enter the barcode, but this doesn't include bookmarking in my experience. I was talking more about the "Play Movie" and "Play Episode" features. It makes the world of difference not having to go through the actual disc menu.

I just checked my "Season One of The Wire", and they did bookmark all of the episodes, like other television series. I'm surprised the two movies you mentioned were not bookmarked. "No Country" is even available in the K store now, so I would think it would be identified and bookmarked.

K's support staff are very responsive to emails. I remember sending an email asking why "The Wire" wasn't recognized since it has been so highly rated and is a relatively high profile HBO production. At the time it was a new release and they were in the process of adding it. They usually respond in a day or two.

Let me answer generally first, and then I have some news about some of the specific discs you've asked about.

Movies are released in in multiple geographic regions, and it's not uncommon for several different versions to be released within a single region. Those versions may have different special features, different trailers, different audio options, etc. Because of how disc recognition works, an alternate version may not be recognized at all. When a customer enters the UPC code and title, we can quickly update the metadata, but we can't always update bookmarks without obtaining and processing the same version of the disc.

We do our best to process and bookmark all of these alternate versions, but sometimes we only find out about them when somebody happens to purchase one. We may have seven different versions of a title bookmarked, and a customer will have the bad luck to buy #8.

With that context, some news about the titles you asked about. You should see bookmarks shortly on The Wire and No Country for Old Men -- these were in the database as Region A discs, but it turns out that they are multi-region, so we've made that update and the discs should now match up. It may be a day or so before you see that database update.

There Will Be Blood is bookmarked in our database, but it seems that you may have one of those pesky alternative versions. We have another version incoming for bookmarking, so hopefully it's the same version you have, and you'll see those bookmarks appear soon.

Many thanks for the information Mike. Great insight into the work happening behind the scenes. Looking forward to seeing those bookmarks!

Back