• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The Pacific

BigHat

I have had a Kaleidescape system for about 2 months now without any issues until yesterday. I have had zero freeze or pause issues until I tried the watch the HBO series "The Pacific." I have watched it a number of times but yesterday I discovered that it just freezes up within a few seconds on any episode. I get instant menus response and can go to any other movie w/o problems. Any ideas what might cause this and what can be done?

The B_R discs are in the vault. I'm tempted to delete the movies and reburn them on to the 3U, but wanted to seek some advice prior to doing so. Thanks!!

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago, except it happened with several movies. Eventually, I removed power from my player (just turning it off isn't enough, you have to unplug the power cord from the back) and it cleared up.

It was an odd issue because I assumed it was a corrupt video file on my 3U, like you, but I was able to watch the movies without issue when I used my M700 video player instead of my M500 (which is my primary player). So, I unplugged the M500, plugged it back in, rebooted the 3U and M700 to be sure, and it worked -- couple of months and counting.

Thanks Lion.
I just have the M700 and the 3U. For the heck of it I rebooted the 3U but that didn't help. Didn't think to do the same to the M700.

Additionally, I removed the movies from the system and ejected the 6 discs for the heck of it. Reinserted them and burned them over night. Should be all set when I get home. I might reboot the M700 too just to be safe.

Have to say this was weird. Can't say it was just "The Pacific" as I didn't check all 400 movies, but all that I did try worked fine aside from this one.

Based on the issue, I was pretty certain that I had problems with a hard drive. A networking/router or cabling issue would not explain why this only happened on certain movies and not others, that it occurred with movies which had been watched in the past without issue, and it was 100% repeatable.

The final troubleshooting step that I took was the clincher -- I unplugged the offending M500's ethernet and HDMI cables from the back of the unit but I left the other ends hooked up to the same router port and HDMI port on my processor. I re-plugged them into the back of my M700 and the offending movies worked like a charm -- I couldn't believe it.

Once I removed/restored power from the M500 by unplugging the power cord from the back, it was all-good. The only thing that I can think of that would explain this is maybe the player maintains some kind of internal memory/meta data about movies that have been watched, and somehow it got corrupted, and removing the power reset the temp memory. Dunno.

Thanks again Lion. Only one to opine on the problem.

Unplugged the player, in my case the vault, and all better now. Mystery as to what was happening, but better now.

Matt

Edited to share more of the troubleshooting info that might be of use to others:

As I said, I deleted the movie and ejected the discs. I re-burned them without issue. When I tried viewing the first episode in the subject series it was frozen in about a second. I then tried a number of other movies that performed perfectly. Seems that rebooting the vault had to solve the problem. Too new to the system to opine seriously with you experts, but maybe someone can share thoughts on the concept of a file getting corrupted and the 3U not finding the B_R disc present and thus stopping play? I need to pull a few B_R movies from the vault to see what happens when you try to play the related movie.

Last edited:
Back