• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The Kaleidescape-owner's dilemma

I absolutely agree with you but maybe they see KScape as so small that they can carry on a grudge?

I absolutely agree with you but maybe they see KScape as so small that they can carry on a grudge?

All customers are not created equal -- I suspect that one K'scape customer is worth 20 typical AppleTV customers in the amount of movies that they'd typically buy. Do the studios hate K'scape (is DVD CCA an extension of studios, or autonomous enough to bear their own grudge?). Obviously some studios are K'scape-friendly enough to license content, which brings me to my main point -- I'd wager that the studios hate other studios a lot more than any particular hardware company or content-distribution company, and any company not distributing their content via the K'scape-store must be gnashing their teeth when seeing the other studios selling their content to the typical well-healed K'scape client.

Well, from the small sample size we saw here, I think the sales from this fall on the Kstore have probably been phenomenal on a volume per person basis. We can talk all we want about how Kaleidescape customers are the best, but until they have data to back it up, it is easy to fall on deaf ears. Hard sales data is much more difficult to ignore. I just did a quick count on my purchases and found I have already bought 216 titles from the Kaleidescape store (counting a TV show as one title per season and not counting supplemental content or multi-disc movies as more than one title).

I am probably not typical, but there are likely people who bought more than me from the store and I suspect the average is quite high. I would love to see the sales data though. I wonder if Kaleidescape would share anything on their store sales, like what percentage increase, etc.

Well, from the small sample size we saw here, I think the sales from this fall on the Kstore have probably been phenomenal on a volume per person basis. We can talk all we want about how Kaleidescape customers are the best, but until they have data to back it up, it is easy to fall on deaf ears. Hard sales data is much more difficult to ignore. I just did a quick count on my purchases and found I have already bought 216 titles from the Kaleidescape store (counting a TV show as one title per season and not counting supplemental content or multi-disc movies as more than one title).

I am probably not typical, but there are likely people who bought more than me from the store and I suspect the average is quite high. I would love to see the sales data though. I wonder if Kaleidescape would share anything on their store sales, like what percentage increase, etc.

I totally agree. Your post got wondering what I have purchased this year fron the store. It comes out to 188 titles! No wonder I am going to need to upgrade my server early next year.

John

Lol, same here. I have a second 3U server that I took offline when I got a full set of 4TB drive but I am going to have to fire it up soon and bring it online. I will probably come close to running out of space as soon as I order my discounted TV series from the store.

Don't kid yourselves, K store purchases overall are tiny in comparison with Apple.

Yes I agree. I also agree with BritBlaster that its possible a K customer is worth more than an AppleTV customer in so far as selling movies. But I think Apple TV customers also buy things like Netflix access Hulu etc.

Also AppleTV monitors a wider array of content over a much larger user base so the aggregate data is probably more accurate and valuable.

Just for fun I counted 54 items I've purchased from the store. My collection is: 1,834 movies and 1,161 albums.....

I would buy more but the studio support is limited and right now they put a (little) burden on us to know when a studio that supports the store (like WB) is coming out with a new movie and we have to remember to not buy the disc but rather wait for the DL. I think the store should do more to alert us to newly available content.

If I may offer a small editorial observation:

Since I began paying attention to how studios relate to new technology, WB has consistently been at the forefront and been the most friendly to movie collectors.

If I were a betting man (luckily I am not, given how our Fresno State team got trounced by USC today), I would figure Fox and Universal as the most likely studios to come on board next. Both of those studios were early supporters of D-Theater, with Fox releasing a lot of titles there. (30 from Fox, 11 from Universal, 5 from Dreamworks, 3 from Artisan that were supposed to be released but never were).

2012 market share for film studios (including their subsidiaries) were as follows:

Majors - 79.4% between the Big Six:

Sony - 17.0%
Warner - 15.4%
Disney - 14.3%
Universal - 13.6%
Fox - 10.6%
Paramount - 8.5%

Minor Studios
Summit - 5.0% (in 2010)
Lionsgate - 4.9% (in 2010)

No other studio has 1% or more of market share in 2010, although there have been years when other studios did, such as Overture, Weinstein/Dimension and MGM.

MGM has very little market share today, but still has a massive catalog of films from when they were a major studio.

I am hoping for more studios to come on board soon, but if they do, I suspect I will be filling up servers quickly if they have the same upgrade policies that Warner and Lionsgate are offering.

Back