• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The Kaleidescape-owner's dilemma

This is one of the reasons I ordered a hot spot on my next car (due in March), but I still doubt the connections will be reliable. I'm considering trying to find a way to add a Cinema One to the car's rear seat entertainment. Might use one of those special protective travel cases and drill some holes for the cables...........:eek:

Jim

Or you could order a Bentley Mulsanne Mulliner edition with a Cinema One installed.....it comes standard with a hotspot.

Peter

Assuming it's LTE and you are in a major metro area, you should have enough bandwidth to stream from your HOME system -- you could use a (M)300 player and then define a VPN link from your car to your home network. I wouldn't want to put hard-drives in your car, they would only last a few months at best.

Yup, thought about this as well, but haven't met anyone that has it working well......I also agree, the drives would take a beating over time, even with the case I mentioned. I'd be satisfied if I could get a year out of a drive before it failed, but no guarantee's (and the warranty wouldn't cover a vehicle installation).

This would be my first car with a hot spot and no one can tell me how reliable they are in actual day-to-day use. I added it only because of the kids iPads. I also ordered the rear seat entertainment as a back up.:)

Jim

Or you could order a Bentley Mulsanne Mulliner edition with a Cinema One installed.....it comes standard with a hotspot.

Peter

I might if I had YOUR resources......:D

Jim

I do like the fact that K'scape offer Blu-Ray quality via download, there are some movies that really cry-out for Dolby TruHD or DTS-HD audio and high bit-rate video. I wish there was some "middle ground" though. For example, if I was buying "Lord of the Rings" or "World War Z", then dedicated 50GB of storage to those movies is a no-brainer. But what about "My Best Friend's Girl", "Ace Ventura" or "Christmas Vacation" -- I'd like an upgrade from DVD, but without dedicating 50GB of storage for it. Something like the codec used in AppleTV or Vudu where it is highly efficient, high quality, but with a slightly inferior video quality than BluRay, but only use around 10GB of storage -- that would be perfect for the 80-percentile purchase case for me.

I agree with this completely. And it's not *just* about the storage space, it's about the time it takes to download the movie, too. I would be MUCH more willing to consider adding a CinemaOne to my vacation house if two things happen: 1) More studios on board and 2) the option to have lower quality smaller downloads.

Two reasons: Storage space and the time it takes to download it all again if a hard drive in the non-protected system dies.

I suspect there are several reasons K hasn't done this. The first is that they like selling us hard drives. I get that, but that doesn't mean I like it. The second is they like giving us a VERY simple and yet very powerful system. Adding this feature would complicate things a bit since you have to choose which version you want at some point. It's not horrible, but it's another thing to make you pick. And it's another encoding they have to store, and it's another approval step for the studios to agree to.

--Donnie

I agree everything thats been posted above. And I also agree it would be nice to have a kind of BR- or DVD+ format. If it was available I'd choose it on certain purchases. Are we listening Kaleidescape? So for the Ace Venturas etc of the world I just stick with DVD. It still looks good. And the good news is my kids haven't yet figured out the difference in quality.

As to the streamers and traveling, that's why theres a 128GB version of the iPad. I wouldn't rely on streaming whilst traveling. And you're right about UV/Flixter- those services are absolute brain damage to use. I'm the customer, I'm not supposed to work harder at this than at my job just to use your service for a movie I've already purchased.

As to the streamers and traveling, that's why theres a 128GB version of the iPad. I wouldn't rely on streaming whilst traveling. And you're right about UV/Flixter- those services are absolute brain damage to use. I'm the customer, I'm not supposed to work harder at this than at my job just to use your service for a movie I've already purchased.

I don't think people are *really* talking about relying on streaming while traveling. But the problem is Flixster wants to authenticate the movie or something even when you've already downloaded it.

I *think* as long as you start it right quick after you do the download and while you still have network that you can restart it later without network. But I haven't tried it in much depth.

--Donnie

Well, even so that is a really poor implementation. Much like the old red laser WM9 file of T2 that I got back in the early days of HD. You had the actual physical disc and it still forced you to go to the Internet to verify it was OK for the player to play the file.

Well, even so that is a really poor implementation. Much like the old red laser WM9 file of T2 that I got back in the early days of HD. You had the actual physical disc and it still forced you to go to the Internet to verify it was OK for the player to play the file.

Oh sure, I'm not defending it. I mean the whole point of downloading the movie should be so you can view the stupid thing offline.

--Donnie

I agree everything thats been posted above. And I also agree it would be nice to have a kind of BR- or DVD+ format. If it was available I'd choose it on certain purchases. Are we listening Kaleidescape? So for the Ace Venturas etc of the world I just stick with DVD. It still looks good. And the good news is my kids haven't yet figured out the difference in quality..

After thinking on this for a while, I don't think I would ever use a BR- or DVD+ format. When I watch I want best quality available and when I am short on space I delete out the BR version of some movies and download the DVD version. When I finally upgrade my server I end up going back to BR versions. A BR- might help stretch out timing a little before adding capacity but that's about it. With 60Mbps download speeds are not an issue for me at this point.

John

After thinking on this for a while, I don't think I would ever use a BR- or DVD+ format. When I watch I want best quality available and when I am short on space I delete out the BR version of some movies and download the DVD version. When I finally upgrade my server I end up going back to BR versions. A BR- might help stretch out timing a little before adding capacity but that's about it. With 60Mbps download speeds are not an issue for me at this point.

If I end up upgrading, I'll have 20TB of finite storage. If I was going to buy "Madea's Christmas" and it was available in Apple's HD-compression format and take up 5GB of storage on my server instead of 45GB, you'd better BELIEVE I'd go for that option!

On movies that I don't care for I either keep a DVD version or delete altogether.

I understand why some people would like this. I would just prefer that K puts their resources on what they feel is the next generation format along with adding titles from more studios instead of going back and spending effort converting their current 4000 titles to yet another format.

John

JohnJ said:
With 60Mbps download speeds are not an issue for me at this point.

Just so you know, there are probably a good many K customers, like me, who will be waiting a few more YEARS before we have any chance at getting that kind of bandwidth at a reasonable price. And by "reasonable price" I do mean "10x more than what normal people pay for Internet."

--Donnie

My office Internet bill is $199/month for 3Mbps and is the fastest service available to us. My home Internet bill is $49.99/month for 60 Mbps with no usage cap.

My office Internet bill is $199/month for 3Mbps and is the fastest service available to us. My home Internet bill is $49.99/month for 60 Mbps with no usage cap.

In Switzerland for about 100$ per month, they have 100mbps + Cable TV + free calls worldwide.

Good times! I remember configuring a Cisco router for T1 (a whopping 1.544Mps) that cost us $1500/mon..

Up until three years ago, my home internet was two T1's bonded, but due to overhead out here they *still* could only max out at 2.6Mbs. I think that cost me about $600 per month.

Then I talked ATT into running MetroE to me (fiber). Well, I negotiated for a LONG time before finally getting the install down to $18k, IIRC. They ran several miles of fiber *just* for me. And then I think I was paying about $600/month for 10Mbs on a three year contract. That just expired and new fees should put 20Mbs at something well under the $600/month, but still probably $500ish, anyway (they don't need to upgrade ANYTHING to make this happen...supposedly the fiber is good to 100Mbs, anyway...it's just changing a router setting). So in three years I'd expect I might get to 60Mbs for this same kind of relative pricing, which is well over 5x what most people pay for internet, anyway.

But I chose to live in the boonies...

--Donnie

Holy cow.

I have optimum online, it can go over 100Mbps down and 40up.

John I think you have a good point about the middle ground format. I just know I would use it.

Well, I will add that I do some business things over the connection, so it's not PURELY personal. But it mostly is. :)

Also, I do want to thank K for putting the max download speed option on the server. It seems to work very well.

Oh, and I can say that my MetroE link is just as fast at uploading as downloading, which can be pretty nice sometimes.

--Donnie

I have heard fairly strong rumors that Kaleidescape is never going to be able to sign some of the studios. The lawyers involved still have bruised egos over the DVD lawsuit.

I have heard fairly strong rumors that Kaleidescape is never going to be able to sign some of the studios. The lawyers involved still have bruised egos over the DVD lawsuit.

At some point, you lick your wounds, let bygones be bygones and make appropriate business decisions based on realities. Even Sony became a VHS licensor, Microsoft invested $150M in Apple, etc..

Back