• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The Good Dinosaur

Nabs17

So, I purchased this movie from the K store yesterday based upon very good reviews (audio and video) from 2 different sources that I trust. Again, both were positive and I was looking forward to hearing the audio and video goodness. Now from the K store the video was beautiful, however, the audio was not in line with the reviews I read. It didn't suck but it just wasn't what I was expecting based upon the glowing audio reviews....sounded kind of thin to me. Then it occurred to me, I remember that for this movie there were 2 audio tracks:

English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English DTS-HD HR 5.1.

The default track (on the disc) is the DTS-HD HR 5.1.

What the K store lists is DTS HD 5.1 so I assume it's the HR version which is loosy, whereas the 7.1 track is lossless. I wish they would have labeled it with the HR designation.

So my questions are:

1) Did I download both versions or just what's listed on the K store which is 5.1?
2) If the 7.1 is in there somewhere how do I get that audio version?
3) How does K chose which audio tracks to include in the store if there are multiple?

By the way, I loved the movie. The video is truly breathtaking.

Hi Nabs17,

I looked into this a bit. The Blu-ray disc version of this movie has DTS-HD MA 7.1 and DTS-HD HR 5.1.

Our digital version has DTS-HD MA 5.1. So, it's still a lossless track, but it's a 5-channel rather than a 7-channel mix. I wouldn't expect that to sound "thin", although that depends somewhat on how your system is configured to treat 5.1 versus 7.1 audio. Personally, I run my processor in a matrix mode for 5.1 that gives me some sound in the rear speakers.

So I'll ask since it's coming anyway...

Any idea why Disney would send a digital version without the 7.1 MA track?

Kevin D.

Hi Nabs17,

I looked into this a bit. The Blu-ray disc version of this movie has DTS-HD MA 7.1 and DTS-HD HR 5.1.

Our digital version has DTS-HD MA 5.1. So, it's still a lossless track, but it's a 5-channel rather than a 7-channel mix. I wouldn't expect that to sound "thin", although that depends somewhat on how your system is configured to treat 5.1 versus 7.1 audio. Personally, I run my processor in a matrix mode for 5.1 that gives me some sound in the rear speakers.

Mike, thanks for digging into this and it's good to hear that's you're not offering HR version. However, I'm going to have to look into this track some more because it wasn't what I was expecting (from an audio standpoint) and not just because it's 5.1 vs 7.1. I think I'm going to buy the 3D version of the movie and compare the audio tracks . Even if I wasn't feeling this way about the audio I'd still buy the 3D version because I really want to see how 3D looks because 2d video is simply amazing.

Fair enough! I'll see if we can do a comparison here, too. We should have the Blu-ray disc on hand. If you come across any particular scenes that you think are significantly different, let us know.

Last edited:
So Mike, I did buy the disc and compared (roughly) the first 20 minutes of both versions...the one I purchased from the K store and the actual blu ray.

They are virtually identical. On the disc I used the 7.1 track (which is not the default..go figure) and as you confirmed the K store is DTS HD lossless.

One thing I do notice is that it's lower (in volume) than other discs because my typical listening volume is -12 to -15 and The Good Dinosaur (at that volume) is lower than other movies, leading me to think it was thin sounding. So with The Good Dinosaur, I can go up to ~-6 ish and it's as comfortable as other movies are at -12. So, all is well over here in Nabs-ville at -6 it sounded like the reviews indicated.

If you do any testing see if (at your normal listening levels) its noticeably lower than other movies. I'd be interested to see if you (or anyone else) experiences the same thing.

Thanks for your support.

Hey Nabs,

Thanks very much for the follow-up. I'll keep the volume adjustment in mind for when I watch the movie. 6dB is a pretty big difference, to be sure. I recently watched a movie that was the same way. Can't remember which one it was right now (Good Night and Good Luck, maybe?), but I remember being surprised how much I had to turn up to get to a level that seemed normal.

Back