• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The Beatles CDs Stereo/Mono

JerryL

Problem importing both versions- the system wants to overwrite them and also often misses the title of the CD requiring manual input. Any suggestions on what to do. Right now I think Im going to just reimport all the mono ones over the stereo ones until I get to let it be and abbey road. I think I might change the song order on past masters volume 2 so I can have both versions on here. I really don't want to do that for 12 albums though! I am asking K scape to please figure out something here.

Beatles Mono box set

Hey Jerry

I was about to post a question on this as well. I only imported Revolver, Help! and White Album, so far and stopped when I saw that it was overwriting. I don't know how it denotes what album it is (you probably know better, but it looks like it matches up the # of tracks and time per track and matches it up to a database - given some of my CD's come up with different titles than what they really are but with all the same track names).

Revolver was overwritten and Help was overwritten with extra "mystery" tracks because the CD has stereo and mono and White Album Disc one was overwritten, but disc two came up as a separate CD, originally unidentified and then it had some strange Beatles album title but with all the track names correct. (presumably because Helter Skelter is about 1 minute shorter in mono).

I only got the Mono box set and the Stereo Abbey Road and Let it Be remasters. I was just going to keep my old stereo versions of the other discs but I still wanted to have them both on Kscape to compare stereo v mono (I also want to have the old Abbey Road and remastered Abbey Road to compare)

I'll probably call K as well just to log it in. More people that call the better, I assume.

Joe

I just imported my mono Sergeant Pepper (or so I thought). It shows on my import list but is not shown as a new album and did not overwrite my existing stereo version of the album. I just listened to the album and I definitely still have the stereo vesion on my K system.

Some thoughts I am having about this:

* import the mono albums- the stereo ones are not considered the official album until you get to around Abbey Road and Let it Be- though I think you can make a good argument that The Beatles (White Album) is official in stereo. Then rip the stereo ones to the computer and find some short Beatles related track somewhere to add to the burned CD- suppose you would add the "Her Majesty" track to the end of all the stereo albums- the system would not recognize these as the same albums and wouldn't over write the mono ones and you could have the stereo ones for comparison.

* wait for K to do something

* dont do anything

My experience so far with both box sets is surprising- I thought I would prefer the mono mixes- but I grew up with the stereo mixes and I find thats what I prefer on Help, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, and forward. I prefer the mono on the early stuff and Rubber Soul and the Past Masters except some of the later stuff like Revolution and Hey Jude.

When Im done Im going to make a Beatles playlist.

Also if anyone loves the Beatles music, you should check out the Love CD (get the DVD if you want to experience multichannel). Its fantastic.

I called K a few weeks ago and they didn't have a quick answer except to say that I can go through the "loan" process to get their database updated, but I didn't feel like going through that at this point and also because AMG would probably update their database and I wasn't convinced it would solve the problem.

Anyway, when I checked back on my K last week, I saw that some of the albums now showed up under the album "Beatles Mono Box Set" and some didn't, even though they all are from that set. It seems that With The Beatles, Beatles for Sale, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper, Disc 2 of White Album, Disc 2 of Past Masters, matched up ....but none of the others??? - So I have a White Album with Disc 1 in Mono (overwrote my original) and Disc 2 in Stereo and then Disc 2 in Mono is somewhere else.

Any suggestions on how to either put them all under here (or actually more preferably, how to separate them back out of here as the individual albums with the individual cover art....seems cumbersome to go into this header and page down to Disc 12 or whatever to get to the White Album - or actually, more accurately, hit "play album" and then page down to Disc 12 and hit the first song and then hit "replace playing music"...which seems to be what you need to do to avoid just playing one song on repeat (unless of course I am doing that wrong))

I'll probably give a call since it might have been addressed, but thought I would throw it out here too.

It's a difficult process for them to manage, as many boxed sets contain CDs that appear new but are the same catalogID as a previous album. There are sometimes some tricks they can do to distinguish one from another digitally, but sometimes the bit-image on the disc is truly identical.

One suggestion is to send them the exact UPC codes of the boxed set so they can purchase their own and investigate, but that can take them a while. The best alternative (though a bit more effort) is to go ahead and send them your CDs via the loaner process... including your older White Album disc that got overwritten so they can investigate.

They do a very good job of handling this within a week or two and carefully packing and shipping the discs back. They will even fedex you a padded box in which to send them your discs, and of course postage is paid by them both directions.

--josh

One thought is on either the stereo or mono discs, rip them to your computer in wav or aiff, then add a very short aiff file (just take a second from any song- you could use quicktime pro to edit it) and add it to the track list and then burn the CD. When you import it into K it will have a different table of contents and therefore wouldn't be recognized and then you could manually input the metadata. Its a bit of a pain in the neck IMHO.

I think what K should do here when these import, they should ask which one you are wanting to import.

I may reach out to K and see if they'd like to borrow my sets. I think they would have a difficult time finding the mono one.

Anyway, when I checked back on my K last week, I saw that some of the albums now showed up under the album "Beatles Mono Box Set" and some didn't, even though they all are from that set.

I may reach out to K and see if they'd like to borrow my sets I think they would have a difficult time finding the mono one.

Jerry, I think now that it is showing up on the guide (don't know if you see it now as well) you shouldn't have to lend it to them because either someone else did or they went and got it (or the AMG got updated).

I may give them a call back because the AMG does have the mono box set there, pictures and all, but it isn't matching all the discs up to it (as mentioned, probably it is only matching up the ones that have different track times). But if they have it, maybe it is as simple as punching in the UPC code for the new box set to associate it with this box set.

This has happened with other box sets that I have and also individual titles, probably, as josh mentioned, because they have a similar catalog ID to one that was packaged/marketed differently or one that was distributed to certain retailers, etc. For those, it just isn't a big deal to me. Only bringing it up for this one because of the amount of discs and of course because it is the Beatles (and this whole mono/stereo thing to distinguish between the two on the guide)

Its still not working- I deleted all my material and reimported the stereo albums- the first mono album was identified as stereo and it over wrote. I am going to burn a set of mono discs with a little extra track at the end- perhaps "her majesty" from abbey road. That should allow me to put them in manually.

Back