• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

The Abyss (Sorry if done to death)

phcjpp

Morning,

I am working through my remaining 200 blu rays that I have not already upgraded to digital and noted the K-Store does not seem to have a version of The Abyss? I think it was originally FOX but now owned by disney?

I thoughts welcomed
Chris

Correct, it is a Fox title and is not yet in the Store. Currently no word on what impact Disney's acquisition of Fox will have on our access to that content for download to Grandfathered Premiere systems, but I suspect those titles will eventually be treated like the other Disney owned studios. (meaning Premiere owners that don't "opt-in" to the Disney agreement will not be able to download that content from the Store).

That said, the Abyss is available digitally from other vendors and I expect it will eventually be available in the Store.

Jim

As far as I can tell, “The Abyss” is one of those titles that has never been available on blu-ray (at least in the US). Do you actually have a blu-ray version or is it DVD?

If DVD, the Store does not have any SD titles from Fox - only HD and 4K.

John

James is working on releasing the Blu-ray versions of both The Abyss and True Lies. Although he hasn't committed to a release date because of detail work related to BR and 4K transfers (yes, 4K is likely as well at some point), the BR transfer work is complete, he just wants to "fine tune" the transfer (color, etc,) before actual release.

I think we'll see both sometime this year.......

Jim

Jim,

That is really great to hear and very exciting too! Abyss was the first laser disk demo I saw and the first time I heard real cinema quality sound in a hifi demo room - great memories.

Chris

I'm still using the DVD version, and look forward to the 4K release (and BR).

Jim

“True Lies” is another one that has never been released on Blu-ray. Very glad to here that these two titles are coming!

John

Yes, one of his better films in IMO (but obviously not as successful as Avatar and Titanic). I met James on the set of Dark Angel in 2000, incredible talent, and a very nice guy, and that has been maintained throughout his successful career. It will be nice to get those titles in 4K.

Jim

Yes, he's one of the few "normal" people in the biz!

Jim

I know nothing whatsoever about the status of any future release of The Abyss, but I just have to say that in addition to really enjoying this movie, the making-of feature, "Under Pressure" is still my all-time favorite behind-the-scenes for any movie. What they built to make that movie is just over the top amazing.

That said, the Abyss is available digitally from other vendors and I expect it will eventually be available in the Store.

Do you know where? I checked a few and couldn't find it. I've never seen The Abyss and this thread made me want to get it :)

Do you know where? I checked a few and couldn't find it. I've never seen The Abyss and this thread made me want to get it :)

I don't see it available for purchase from any of the streaming providers in the US, but if you subscribe to Cinemax though something like Amazon Channels, or Apple TV channels, it's available streaming in HD there.

Yes, was referring to same.....and Vudu has it up for the wishlist (basically, show them enough interest and someday they'll print and release in mainstream).

Jim

Back