• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Terry Gilliam's "Brazil"

DmitryB

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I just realized that the version of Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" sold at Kaleidescape store is not Terry Gilliam's director's cut. Gilliam's version runs 142 minutes. KStore is selling a weird 132 minute version. (Which is still longer than the abominable studio version, which is 94 mins (don't ever try watching that one; it's unwatchable.))

But it's a shame KStore does not have Gilliam's cut, which is definitive.

Dang, I didn't notice that either. This is one of my favorite movies. Good thing I didn't get rid of my Blu-Ray disc looks like I'll still need it.

Kstore version is the US theatrical version with 132 min run time, also released in Universal’s Blu-ray. Criterion Collection DVD and Blu-ray has the international cut with 142 mins run time, also known as the director’s cut which Gilliam’s intended cut. There was also a 92 min “Love conquers all” cut with a much more positive ending which Universal initially insisted for the US theatrical release. Criterion Collection release includes this version in its extras. Criterion release preserves the original Dolby Stereo audio soundtrack mix (in DTS HD MA 2.0) where as the Universal’s Kstore and Blu-ray versions are remixed in DTS HD MA 5.1.

I don’t have access to it but the Kstore UK store might have the international cut version with 142 min run time as Fox has the copy rights there and uses the internal version on home video releases and streaming.

Considering how much history and controversy there is with Gilliam vs. the studio about this movie, I'm amazed the studio is still distributing something other than Terry Gilliam's intended version. I would have assumed the question of which version of the movie should be considered the definitive version was settled back in the 1980s, and the rest should be kept as mere curiosities (as Criterion does.)

As far as I can tell after some research, there is not a digital release of the “Brazil” 142 min version. I checked both Vudu and iTunes and both have the 132 min version.

The only 142 min version that is available is on disc from Criterion. I interpret this as a decision by Universal to do an exclusive license of this version to Criterion.

Still just speculation on my part but it fits all the known facts.

John

Back