• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Terra Movie Server - Why doesn't K make the HDD sizes more easily upgradable?

Rengozu

Was curious why they don't offer a more customizable upgrade route with these. Each Terra has 4 ports for the HDD drives. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I've seen it always comes with all four ports loaded. (ex: if you buy a 48tb you get x4 12tb drives, and if you buy an 88tb unit you get x4 22tb drives installed.) Why not just sell a 44tb unit with x2 22tb drives and leave 2 slots blank for future upgrading? Is there a reason they can't sell us those drives by themselves?

I'd love the option to buy a smaller full size Terra unit now so long as I could upgrade it to the max tb capacity in the future. Beats selling and shipping a whole unit just to purchase a whole new unit that's practically the same just with more storage.

Never really thought about it before until the upgrade to Terra Prime program started where you can remove your drives and install into a new Prime shell.
Just wondered why K doesn't have an upgrade option where you could send in your older drives and trade towards a bigger one. Sure it would really help some early adopters of the 24 Terra.

Was curious why they don't offer a more customizable upgrade route with these. Each Terra has 4 ports for the HDD drives. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I've seen it always comes with all four ports loaded. (ex: if you buy a 48tb you get x4 12tb drives, and if you buy an 88tb unit you get x4 22tb drives installed.) Why not just sell a 44tb unit with x2 22tb drives and leave 2 slots blank for future upgrading? Is there a reason they can't sell us those drives by themselves?

I'd love the option to buy a smaller full size Terra unit now so long as I could upgrade it to the max tb capacity in the future. Beats selling and shipping a whole unit just to purchase a whole new unit that's practically the same just with more storage.

Never really thought about it before until the upgrade to Terra Prime program started where you can remove your drives and install into a new Prime shell.
Just wondered why K doesn't have an upgrade option where you could send in your older drives and trade towards a bigger one. Sure it would really help some early adopters of the 24 Terra.
They did this in the past. You could buy the Premiere 3U server with half of its HDD bays installed. Maybe this business model didn’t work so well and they abandoned it with their next server offerings (1U, 1U+ and Terra).

Their TB/$ pricing is much lower on larger systems. I believe the total system cost for a Terra with 2x22TB plus 2 add-on 22TB HDD later would be much higher than a Terra with 4x22TB in the first place. You would be paying a higher TB/$ on the initial Terra with 2x22TB then even higher TB/$ on each add-on HDD. Having said that, selling your current Terra in the 2nd hand market to recuperate some of the new Terra cost is a big hassle and annoyance.

It really would have been nice if we could by their proprietary hard drives and change bad ones out if the system is still running well. Their is no raid configuration.

Back