• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Terra hard drive upgrades - upgrade all 4 drives?

JSKMDWK

Is it possible to change all of the hard drives in a Terra to a larger size? Can they be purchased from K-scape?

For example, if I pulled all four of the 6Tb drives from my Terra 24, can I replace all of them with 12 Tb drives to get a 48 Tb Terra?

I assume it is physically possible, I have had to replace a 6Tb drive previously. Just not sure if there is software/firmware issues or if the unit is locked into being the size it was from the factory.

K does not offer the ability to upgrade the drives in Terra servers. Keep in mind the drives need a "file system," and that is preinstalled before shipping. If you pulled the four drives and found a way to add larger drives, you wouldn't have the required file system.

Jim

Welcome to the twilight zone @JSKMDWK ;-)

There’s a lot of folk asking similar questions and although you can’t buy off the shelf drives there seems to be a bit of an appetite (here at least) to be able to upgrade the capacity of a Terra so that the chassis doesn’t need replacing. I’ve no idea if this is technically possible from a K perspective.

Another thing that came up before, I know I brought it up, was the idea of having a much larger Terra array, a bit like the older 3U systems where you could add disks as you go. I still think that would be mint but again no idea what the economics behind that be and whether that is something that would break K’s current hardware strategy

K does not offer the ability to upgrade the drives in Terra servers. Keep in mind the drives need a "file system," and that is preinstalled before shipping. If you pulled the four drives and found a way to add larger drives, you wouldn't have the required file system.

Jim
I am asking about purchasing 4 12Tb drives from K-scape with the file structures and swapping them out.

I am asking about purchasing 4 12Tb drives from K-scape with the file structures and swapping them out.

Sorry, I assumed you would be trying to add/upgrade drives one at a time, like we did in the past. In any case, that part of the discussion is mute because K will not sell you larger drives to install in the Server. The only way to add storage is purchase additional Terra servers.

Jim

Yeah pretty much K’s Bread and Butter is the Premium they make on storage….So as the other Posters have said …..Your meant to Buy larger Terra’s not upgrade the existing

Wonder what the difference is in the Terra? Why can’t it handle larger drives? Would be great if you could upgrade. From a hardware perspective seems strange. Most “servers” can handle larger drivers. All 3 of mine seem the same. 😆

K offers multiple storage options for Terra, if we were permitted to upgrade drives why would anyone ever purchase a model with the larger drives?
As an example, if I really wanted 88TB of storage, I would buy the Terra 48 at $18,000, then separately order 4 22TB drives at an approx. cost of $3200, for a total cost of $21,200 versus buying the Terra 88 at $26,000.

The company obviously knows the income stream required to operate, grow, remain profitable, and more importantly keep the company around well into the future, and apparently that doesn't include the ability to swap drives.

Jim

Very valid Jim.
When I bought my first Terra I bought the largest available at 40Tb, when I added an additional one I bought the 72 Tb model, again the largest available at the time. Perhaps there is a trade-in and upgrade option available or coming soon (no rush yet) as for now I have enough storage and I still have my legacy Premier servers to keep me going.

I’m going to add my repeating echo comment… I just want to see all my films from the UI, downloaded or not ☹️ this gap can’t be the only reason to keep buying Terras (if you have fast enough connection and don’t mind waiting 15 minutes). Obviously if you can afford it then multiple Terras definitely good idea 😊

Back