• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

System Freeze-Up?

bravo36

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to this, only having had our K system for about 6 months now. It has been working very well up until tonight. I access the system via HDMI in our media room through a Crestron control system.

Tonight, I changed video sources from Sat to K like I've done almost everyday since we bought it. It changed to the K system, but would not move from the screen saver. I powered the both the control unit, and the server down, gave them about a minute, then restarted them. I repeated this process 2-3 times, with the same result.

I can access the system online, and it appears to be responding properly, except when I try to access the "Onscreen Display Control Panel". It says "The K component you have chosen to control is not responding. Please wait while the connection is re-established or choose another control panel from the Web utility".

It does not leave this message screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Kevin

Tough one, best to check with K (or have your dealer do it) to check the logs. They should be able to tell immediately if it is a network/control issue, or if the problem is in the K gear. I have experience with a 1080p Player that acted up with similar results, and K immediately sent a replacement.

I'm assuming all of the server/player lights are normal? Do you have an additional player you could try?

Also, are you able to "restart" the Server/player from the Web Utility? (Once powered down, I would also unplug the Server and Player from the electrical connection, wait 10-20 secs before plugging them back in to the connection.)

Jim

Don't forget to reboot the network hub you are using in case it is a network problem. I had a my hub freeze up on me after working for a couple years. Simple reboot of the hub/switch and the network was back to normal.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Yes, all the lights and other indicators appear normal. I have already reported it to my installer who tried to work a solution over the phone, i.e., restart everything, including network hub, router, and switches, all to no avail.

I will contact K in the morning and have someone there check the logs. I'm at a loss so far.

Kevin:

Restarting the K-Scape components will not fix your immediate problem. You need to power cycle the Crestron processor.

The KScape and Crestron combination do have issues. According to K-Scape, the lack of responsiveness is often caused by an overflow in the number of error messages in the Creston processor's error log. (Some of the error messages may be directly related to the K-Scape modules; other messages may be network errors caused indirectly by the K-Scape.) If you are using the latest version of Crestron firmware (I believe that is CUZ 4.x), then one option proposed by K-Scape is downgrading to CUZ 3.x firmware. Another option is to develop a process for regularly clearing out the error log to prevent the overflows. Another (more expensive) option mentioned by K-Scape is to put the Crestron and K-Scape on separate VLANs. I do not know whether these solutions will completely eliminate the problems. I am only reporting K-Scape's suggestions.

By the way, once you power cycle the Crestron processor, you might not experience problems again for a few weeks or longer. But this does appear to be a recurring problem.

Kevin: I read your message too quickly. Did your installer provide a static ip address to your movie player? I assume so, but thought I would ask given the symptoms you listed.

Best way to eliminate the player as a problem would be to grab an IR remote (pretty much any DVD player remote will work) and try to control the player with that (assuming that your installer didn't disable IR remote control for the player.

If the player responds to the IR remote and is able to play music/movies then the problem is almost certainly network/control system related.

Bartok asks a good question. If your player and/or server hasn't been assigned a static IP then there is a very good chance that everything is functioning correctly but that the control module just can't connect to the player.

Good idea Croptop.

Kevin, just to point out the obvious, the ability to handle standard Toshiba or Pioneer Remote codes is something that is default on, but some installers turn this off, in which case it of course will ignore that external remote. If you try Croptop's method of eliminating one possible problem, be sure to check in your installer's web utility to make sure that THAT player has IR-control codes ON for the brand of remote you try.

Back