• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: Surcharges on KDISK's Removed

Ahhhh.... Now I understand. What if I wanted to upgrade a 3U with 14 1 TB drives to the 3TB? Is there an upgrade program for that?

..What if I wanted to upgrade a 3U with 14 1 TB drives to the 3TB? Is there an upgrade program for that?

That simply amounts to a KDISC-1000 > KDISC-3000 upgrade program, which I'm to understand they don't offer. I think with the discs they just offer a like-for-like exchange: if you have an out-of-warranty failed/failing KDISC-750/1000 you can exchange it for another one of the same type by paying the exchange fee. You can't exchange a 1000 for a 2000.

That simply amounts to a KDISC-1000 > KDISC-3000 upgrade program, which I'm to understand they don't offer. I think with the discs they just offer a like-for-like exchange: if you have an out-of-warranty failed/failing KDISC-750/1000 you can exchange it for another one of the same type by paying the exchange fee. You can't exchange a 1000 for a 2000.

Actually, that "understanding" is incorrect. You can certainly upgrade from 1TB's to 3TB's. K provides two options:

Upgrade to:
14 3TB's
or
8 3TB's

Obviously that's for 3U owners. 1U Owner's can also upgrade and are given the choice of either four 2TB's or four 3TB as 1U upgrade options. CinemaOne can also be upgraded to 1TB's.

Hope that's clear!

Jim

Last edited:
Ahhhh.... Now I understand. What if I wanted to upgrade a 3U with 14 1 TB drives to the 3TB? Is there an upgrade program for that?

Yes, see my last post.:) K would send you a refurbed 3U pre-loaded with the 14 3TB disks, you would replicate the content into the new 3U, and then send your old Server and 1TB's back to K. This gets you a new two year warranty on the Server, and drives as well. If you had any warranty period remaining on the old Server that would get added to the new Server's warranty period.

Jim

Actually, that "understanding" is incorrect...

I understood the question scenario to be: owner keeps their server, sends just the old 750/1000/2000 discs to K*, owner pays a change-over fee, K* sends new 3TB discs to owner. This, I don't think, is a possibility....unless some dealers have access to sweeter deals than others?

I understood the question scenario to be: owner keeps their server, sends just the old 750/1000/2000 discs to K*, owner pays a change-over fee, K* sends new 3TB discs to owner. This, I don't think, is a possibility....unless some dealers have access to sweeter deals than others?

I was responding to Jerry's question in post #21 above. In it he asks what would happen if he wanted to upgrade a 3U with 14 1TB disks to 3TB's (implies to me that he is asking if you can upgrade 1TB's to 3TB's).

I may be misreading your response but it sounds to me, based on your first sentence, that you are saying saying 1TB > 3TB upgrades are not being offered. I responded that 1Tb > 3TB disk upgrades are being offered because they are available on the dealer extranet.

There are two upgrade programs that touch this area, one is the 1U Server upgrade program. This program upgrades your 1U Server to a 3U Server. You order a new 3U Server with any of the disk combinations I described above (8 or 14 3TB's). When you receive the new Server with these new disks you replicate the content from your 1U to the 3U and when replication is complete, you send your 1U w/disks to K. The Dealer will discuss the credit in this case. (There is also a 5U to 3U upgrade program, but with that program, you buy a new 3U Server, K will populate it with a HS disk, RAID disk, and other disks necessary to cover the actual content storage of the 5U being used in the upgrade.)

The other upgrade program is for upgrading disk drives. This program has the owner buy a set of disk drives in one of the two configurations I described above for 3U's (8 or 14 3TB's), based mostly on insuring the drives you order will cover all the content on the old Server. K does not send only the drives. They send a refurbed Server, same sized Server, (1U/3U/etc.) as the Server you currently own, but with the larger drives. You replicate the content from your current Server to the refurbed Server, then send the old Server to K w/the smaller drives.

With this disk upgrade program you are not getting a larger Server, you are only getting larger disks, and were appropriate, K gives you the option as to which disk configuration you want to buy. For example:

CinemaOne's can only be upgraded to 1TB disks, because that's the only larger disk available.

1U's can be upgraded to either 2TB or 3TB disks at the discretion of the owner. Of course upgrading to 3TB's costs more than upgrading to 2TB's, but the choice is available. A 1U can only be upgraded using four disks, either four 2TB's or four 3TB's. A 3U can be disk upgraded to either eight 3TB's, or fourteen 3TB's. I know this for sure, because client's have already done these upgrades.

So...I still say the answer to Jerry's question is "yes," you can upgrade all 14 1TB's disks in a 3U to 14 3TB disks. That specific option is available to dealer's on the dealer ordering extranet. ALL DEALER's.:)

Jim

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone would know... Would I qualify for the K-disk trade-up program? I have a 1u server, but only have 2-kdisks installed in my current server. I have no problem buying 4 new disks, but I don't have 4 to 'turn-in' along with my old server.

Just curious if anyone would know... Would I qualify for the K-disk trade-up program? I have a 1u server, but only have 2-kdisks installed in my current server. I have no problem buying 4 new disks, but I don't have 4 to 'turn-in' along with my old server.

Yes, you can still upgrade.

Jim

Anyone care to start a new thread with the details of the various upgrade programs that are available? I'm still not sure I understand what's available, what the requirements are, and what the price points are.
--josh

I'll do that now.:)

Jim

Back