• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Supporting the Kaleidescape Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim,
The comment that came in regarding UV going away brings up a good question. I am wondering what happens to a potential new customer that is thinking about buying a Kaleidescape system. They already own a bunch of Blurays and digital rights, but UV doesn't exist anymore and they haven't made any store purchases because they don't own a system yet. If they buy a system, are they going to have to start from scratch on buying content all over again? That would make it a harder sale for Kaleidescape to be selling more Stratos.

If they have any interest in getting their UV content into a Kaleidescape system, they need to buy-in soon, open their Store account, and link their current UV account with the K Store. If they don't do that before UV is gone, that content will not be available for download from the K Store unless they purchase it.

That's not a Kaleidescape problem, it's a UV problem.

Jim

Jim,

I cannot agree with your post more. I love Kaleidescape, and for me this is one of my most loved "luxury items." Call it OCD, call it whatever, but the idea that I do not have to stream a movie, and the movie I am watching is the highest quality picture with the best sound simply means that when I buy a movie from the store I feel secure about my ownership.

I understand a lot of people "value-shop" for digital movies from other sources. Personally, I don't understand the need to save 20 bucks over the convenience and time-saving act of simply buying a movie through the Kaleidescape store and not having to "dick-around" with anything else- I know I now own the movie, it will download, if my system is full I can delete something and it will download later, etc. etc... No third- party UV rights to worry about, nothing else to deal with.

Kaleidescape is a pretty unique company- I think there are very, very few companies that are as loved by their enthusiast customers as much as K is. Porsche? Rolex? We are a fanatical and passionate group. So it is from that spirit that the following opinion comes, in case anyone is offended:

Don't be cheap. Seriously- saving five bucks on a digital download?? Really?? K customers should have better things to do. The cost of a movie should largely be a throw-away cost. It's a meal at Chili's- it's the cost of a new phone case. I have wondered for a long time why K allows the download of movies people have not paid for. Unless I am wrong, they could allow the purchase of a title to be included in a customer's UV account but withhold the ability to download it if it was not purchased on the store, but they have chosen not to do that (again I may be wrong.) I buy all of my movies on the K store. I held off on the BBC nature shows on Blu-ray because I was waiting for them to appear on K. The loss of UV doesn't mean anything to me. And I think a lot of the people who complain about the lack of movies anywhere are people who do not actually own a K system...

In terms of buying movies through the K store to support K- this to me is a no-brainer. K is a niche product, it is incomprehensibly-expensive for most people, and therefore K as a company really relies on its customers' support to invent the market. There are no products that compete with K- there are streaming devices, there are ways someone can produce a product that may come close to doing what K does without the interface, convenience or quality, but K has created and exists as the sole occupant of the luxury high-end media server market.

We need to support it any way we can. We should be buying our movies from the K store, not complaining about movie prices. If you cannot afford it... go build a plex server or use an Apple TV. Don't complain here.

Just my 2 cents...

The problem isn't with purchases made tomorrow and moving forward, the problem lies in convincing people that already have significant libraries built up in UV and MA to essentially repurchase their entire catalog (typcially as a higher cost). The longer it takes K to establish a deal with MA, the harder it will be to convince those with large MA libraries to adopt the K System.

I think the problem is with old and new purchases.
I remember how my heart sank when the news broke out that K may be closing a year or so ago. I don't want to pay a premium price for titles without having some kind of assurance that these will be available if K is not around anymore. I hope we never come to this.
I personally have held off on upgrading to a Strato till the time K starts supporting MA

Cost aside, nothing can be easier than pre-ordering new movies as they are added to the store and find them ready to watch the day of release. It really is the perfect system for me.

I pretty much have already purchased all the upgrades for my own movies that I think I would need. My purchases are basically only new movies.

Glad to hear the company is still viable. Keep innovating!

All good posts guys, I think most members have had time to consider all the comments. I'll lock it here, and move on. K is doing fine, as is the Store, and I don't want to give a false impression there concerns, there are none. Let's just keep supporting the Store as best we can....thanks for the consideration and continuing support.

Thread closed.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back