• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Studio reluctance to release movies on KScape

demoleon

New K system owner here. Why are some very popular movies not available on K in 4K (and maybe HDR) but are available elsewhere? Are the studios still afraid of pirating or not understand how K works? I wanted to get Saving Private Ryan but it is only available in HD quality. I notice it was released in 4K on BluRay and it is available in 4K on iTunes. Why not K? Is it a matter of workload and they'll get around to it eventually? Are they not able to comply with Ks standards? I find myself saying "Wow I can't believe that's not available in 4K" when browsing the store (and in some cases "Wow I can't believe that IS available in 4k!"). Anyway it is what it is and I know it's not K's fault, I just hope they keep working with the studios and pushing them to release 4K HDR content.

I agree. I have both reactions as well. "Wow Chinatown in 4K! But not Misery or [Insert title here?]"

I don't think it is 'studio reluctance' as the studios as a whole are in the business of making money by licensing content. The issue is usually that the rights to distribute a given title for home video, streaming, etc. are complicated and are being held up by one or more of the rights holders (which could be the director, production company, family that controls the estate of the original rights holder, etc.) for various reasons. Unless agreements are reached by all parties involved some titles will remain absent. Just look up some of the online discussions about why titles like The Abyss, True Lies or Dogma have gone MIA and you will see what I mean.

That makes sense for movies that aren’t available anywhere but Saving Private Ryan is available in 4K on all streaming services I checked and on disc so it seems weird the rights owners would balk at releasing it on K. Anyway it is what it is.

Back