• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato with a non-4K display?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
If I have a display in a bedroom that has yet to be upgraded to 4K, can I still put in a Strato (with co-star and the existing K5000 in that room) and play everything in both my 4K system (from another room's Strato) AND my premier library, with the strato down-scaling the 4K content to play it on an HD display for now?

Or will the strato just complain about not being able to play 4K content on this display?

Thanks!

-josh

I ran a 1080P display on our family room for a year before upgrading it to 4K. I just had to download the Blu-ray quality version of any 4K movies in addition to the 4K versions we used in our theater for it to work in that room. Once upgraded to 4K, I then deleted them.. The Strato will not down convert 4K movies. SJ

I ran a 1080P display on our family room for a year before upgrading it to 4K. I just had to download the Blu-ray quality version of any 4K movies in addition to the 4K versions we used in our theater for it to work in that room. Once upgraded to 4K, I then deleted them.. The Strato will not down convert 4K movies. SJ
Thanks. Sounds like since I already have a KPlayer 6000 in that room, there's no reason to put in the Strato and Costar until I upgrade the display to 4K. I won't get access to any more movies or functionality than I have now. Appreciate the clarification.
-josh

The Strato will not down convert 4K movies. SJ

In my experience, the Strato will down convert 4K material to 1080p but it cannot play HDR on 1080p TV's. HDR is limited to 4K HDR capable TV's. Only 4K UHD (not HDR) will play on non HDR capable TV's.

If you are considering upgrading the TV in the future, it is still worthwhile buying the HDR version from the K Store as that includes the blu-ray quality version and sometimes the UHD (non HDR) version as well. Download the version you need now and then do a free upgrade to the HDR version when you are ready.

If you already have a player in that room the Strato and Co-Star will not add much new content but may provide access to any UHD and Blu-ray quality content on the other Strato so you don't have to download to both systems.

Good luck.

Wayne

Last edited:
Wayne is correct. Strato will happily downscale 4K UHD content to lower resolutions. What it can't do is to convert HDR to SDR, and since your 1080p display won't support HDR, that will mean that the Strato can't play that content to that display.

You are right! Guess by 4K as was thinking 4K HDR. You just need to download the HD version as well (for 4K HDR movies) to play on that 1080P player. I did that and finally deleted them all when I upgraded last year to a new display for that zone. SJ

OK, glad to hear that it will play many of my downloaded titles, and Wayne is right that it's easy to use a HD version of the movie that you get from the store when you buy the HDR version. Thanks all!

Wayne is correct. Strato will happily downscale 4K UHD content to lower resolutions. What it can't do is to convert HDR to SDR, and since your 1080p display won't support HDR, that will mean that the Strato can't play that content to that display.

This is good to know. I still have a handful of 1080P displays between home and work so it’s good to know this could be an issue if I connect a Strato to one of the 1080P.

That said even a mediocre 4K is so cheap these days it’s probably just better to replace any 1080P displays before considering connecting a Strato to. Even 65-75” above average displays are nearing dirt cheap these days.

;)

Back