• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato S upgrade path

MXT

I currently have a Strato S 6TB and it works perfectly fine for my needs. The only things that would be nice are faster download speed and more storage. So if I understand correctly, I could add a (used) Compact Terra server to satisfy both of my "would be nice" criteria.

I also believe that movies would download to the Terra first, and then to the Strato once the Terra is full. Is there any way to force downloads to the Strato? For example, if I'm not in a hurry I want to use available space on the Strato first, to save space on the Terra for when someone wants to watch something "right now". Could I just unplug the Terra from the network temporarily?

Also, is there any reason I would want to replace the Strato S with a Strato C one day? I would be losing storage, to gain...? Faster UI?

Thanks!

I am in a similar situation, but I have two Strato S and a Premier server. I have viewing in two rooms with a Strato and an M player in each room connected with a Costar and a Premier server that stores DVD and non-4K Blurays. I want to add a Terra server but keep the 2 Stratos for their storage ~ 20TB total. I want to get rid of all the Premier stuff and move it all to the Terra. I've done D2D on everything in my library where it is available, but I'm pretty sure I have some titles not in the Kscape library. I am going to add a Strato C to get the better download times and will move one of the Stratos for viewing in a third room.

What are the gotchas with this plan? I suspect I'm overlooking something.

You can see my review for going from Strato 6TB to Strato C + Terra server in thread 'Suggest me a system'
Suggest me a system
Thanks, but I'm hoping I can get rid of/trade in my M players and Premier disk servers and get rid of the Costar altogether. I want to consolidate everything onto the Strato S/Strato C/Terra system. My Premier stuff is old enough that I'm sure I not far away from another expensive disk replacement.

Thanks, but I'm hoping I can get rid of/trade in my M players and Premier disk servers and get rid of the Costar altogether. I want to consolidate everything onto the Strato S/Strato C/Terra system. My Premier stuff is old enough that I'm sure I not far away from another expensive disk replacement.

The biggest benefit of the Premiere System is the ability to import DVDs and Blu-rays for movies which aren’t available on the Kaleidescape digital movie store. If you have your entire library converted to digital, it is no brainer, get rid of the Premiere system.

Check with your dealer for the best scenario using the current promotions and trade in options. I traded in my Strato 6TB for a Strato C + Terra 72TB (largest at the time). With the promotions and trade in options at the time, my loss on the Strato 6TB was very minimal. I gained a 5 year warranty on the Strato C (my Strato 6TB was outside warranty).

As my review describes, I noticed an improvement on the audio quality and the overall snappiness of the interface. Kaleidescape doesn’t offer repairs on older Strato/Strato S with HDDs. Once the HDD dies, those units are not functional anymore. HDDs are more like wear and tear items. They have a very finite life span. So it is a matter of time for the old Strato/Strato S. My motivation was the 5 year warranty on the Strato C. Since there isn’t any HDD in it, it is less likely to become an expensive door stop even after the 5 year period.

The biggest issue with the Strato/Strato S is the downloads stop if a movie is playing on the unit. The downloads are much slower and you can’t watch something else while your newly purchased movie is downloading. This kind of made the internal HDD useless in my case.

You can see my review for going from Strato 6TB to Strato C + Terra server in thread 'Suggest me a system'
Suggest me a system
I can assure everyone on this fine forum that I'll never afford a proper Terra (multi-drive) server, only a used Compact Terra. :) I assume that makes it a "disposable" (single-drive) unit, just like the Strato S?

I can assure everyone on this fine forum that I'll never afford a proper Terra (multi-drive) server, only a used Compact Terra. :) I assume that makes it a "disposable" (single-drive) unit, just like the Strato S?

The drive is not field replaceable in any of the single drive Strato or Terra servers, so K currently does not sell replacement drives for those products. While the product is under warranty K will issue an RMA for the return and replacement of the defective product. Once the warranty expires, Support would need to be contacted to determine if there is an active policy in place that might result in a trade-in and discounted replacement purchase.

Jim

Back