• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato playback from remote Terra

CPickler

I know this is not officially supported and would require consistent network speeds in both locations, but if I wanted to buy a Strato C for the lakehouse is there a way to connect it back to the Terra at my house? I can't think of a realistic way to do this, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

I have my places connected via a VPN but each location needed a different address range or it did with the hardware I use so in this case the player would be on a different address range to the Terra so would not connect. Perhaps with more modern hardware or using a configuration beyond my networking skills it may be possible and there are some networking gurus here who could help.

I suggest looking into a small office VPN. These are used regularly to connect small offices together and enable sharing of files and printers. So unless there is something weird about the Strato C, it should be able to find the Terra, if you configure it with the proper address. Using a static address for the Terra may also help keep the connection reliable.

Here are the basic steps:

1. Make sure your two homes use different IP address ranges, for example one can be 192.168.82.1/24 and the other can be 192.168.82.2/24. This will ensure there are no duplicate addresses once you connect them via VPN

2. Ensure both routers have a static external IP address assigned by your ISP

3. Set up router-to-router VPN tunnel. Check your router manuals for "site-to-site" VPN.

--

If your routers don't provide this capability, they are easy to replace with inexpensive small-office models from both Linksys and Cisco, and others. To simplify matters, it helps if both routers are the same brand/model to ensure they work the same and offer the same capabilities. If you need more specific instructions, I would visit the support forum for your router brand, I suspect there will be more specific instructions or help there.

I think you will find you cannot connect and playback content remotely. Perhaps Mike will comment, but I believe the software structure prevents these connections. I'm not sure because it's been a long time, but I seem to remember conversations with K 15+ years ago that indicated the "closed system" proprietary nature of K was a selling point/requirement in keeping content owners satisfied from a security standpoint.

This may have changed over time based on technology improvements, but I'll let Mike K. comment (if he can).

Jim

Back