• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato limitations

88hk

Just before the closure I was just about to buy the Strato. Thanks to this and other forums I have since found out that the Strato has a number of limitations for my usage. Before making the purchase I would like to clarify the issues so please let me know if there are any issues I'm missing or if the problem no longer exists.

1. Non-US store is poor, so I would need a US credit card and VPN to access US store. Once purchased I don't need the VPN to download the movie.

2. No connection to blu ray vault until 2017. Thus the only way to import my blu ray collection is to go to Vudu and use my UV rights or disc to digital service. I can then connect vudu to Kscape and download the movies to strato.

3. UHD new sound formats not fully supported. I can't get UHD movie with Atmos.

4. There is no plan to be able to transfer a UHD disc to the Strato (maybe via Vudu)

5. Paramount movies are not supported.

6. To get Disney movies from the store I have to agree not to import any. So I have to buy them all again.

Just before the closure I was just about to buy the Strato. Thanks to this and other forums I have since found out that the Strato has a number of limitations for my usage. Before making the purchase I would like to clarify the issues so please let me know if there are any issues I'm missing or if the problem no longer exists.

1. Non-US store is poor, so I would need a US credit card and VPN to access US store. Once purchased I don't need the VPN to download the movie.

Yes and very easy to accomplish.

2. No connection to blu ray vault until 2017. Thus the only way to import my blu ray collection is to go to Vudu and use my UV rights or disc to digital service. I can then connect vudu to Kscape and download the movies to strato.

Correct - only way to access, is via UV Rights and/or D2D

Correct - though Atmos and X are available on a limitged number of bluray quality titles

4. There is no plan to be able to transfer a UHD disc to the Strato (maybe via Vudu)

My understanding is that the model for UHD was download from store only - no physical disc UHD player being introduced

At this time, again correct, though talk prior to closedown was that they would be on-board in the future.

6. To get Disney movies from the store I have to agree not to import any. So I have to buy them all again.

Not 100% certain on this one - think this may have been for users of the previous incarnation of Kscape products, who were able to 'rip' to their servers, though I might be totally wrong and someone with more knowledge will hopefully chip in with a definitive answer.

There is no way with Strato to import discs to a server, therefore any Disney titles would either have to be downloaded from the store, or played via Disc Vault - which of course as we know currently doesn't work. Therefore like many others I have a huge paperweight sitting in my rack gathering dust, unable to play not only Disney titles, but those others that don't/won't appear in store :mad:

Answered as best I can, inside the quote.

1. Not sure how easy this is to accomplish as you have to have the US credit card tied to a US address.

6. This is correct. Once you opt-in to Disney you can no longer load any Disney BR or DVD to a server hard drive. However, all of Disney movies you load in prior to "opting-in" are grandfathered. This doesn't apply to Strato as it can only download from the store.

John

Yes.

Earlier they promised that with 7.3 release, the HDR/WCG support will also enable Atmos/DTS:X for UHD movies. This is due to updating their workflow to support these features.

You are correct. Unless there is a way to get this done using UV

Earlier discussions suggested Paramount was on board and will be introduced soon. Not sure of it as of now.

This is applicable only to Premiere systems. Strato belongs to the Encore system can only download movies. The other option is to wait for blurry disc playback, which will play back from disc servers. Related to this is that Disney movies anywhere (Ultraviolet equivalent for Disney Studios) is not enabled in K Store. Fox studios also did not enable UV in K store. Hopefully these would come up soon to help avoid people having to rebuy these. At least fox allows disc to digital, Disney does not. This is due to greed to studios, especially Disney. Hopefully they realize soon that people will not rebuy and it is impacting their store sales and enable these features soon. i understand paying more to upgrade to 4K, but to get the same blu ray quality that I already own, I will not pay more. That is just pure greed. These are the kinds of attitudes and actions that make layman understand and see through the greed of the studios easily. Hopefully they realize this pretty soon.

Response in blue.

Thanks guys, that's a great help. I found another limitation along the way in that the Strato doesn't support 3D.

Its pretty poor that Kscapes own marketing literature and website aren't honest about these issues, and no wonder dealers don't always seem to know what's going on. With the company now saying they are going to be less transparent about the future
I think I will hold off on my purchase but keep a close eye on what's happening.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

In keeping with our "new Kaleidescape" announcement yesterday, I'm going to be scrupulous about not discussing future plans, but there are a couple of questions embedded here that I can answer directly.

Let me clarify two things. First: Strato is part of the Encore product line. Encore products do not import discs. You can download movies from the Movie Store, or you can play discs from a disc vault on an Alto player. (Playback from disc vault is not yet supported on Strato for the reasons that were described in our announcement yesterday).

Second: Although Strato does not play movies from a disc vault, you certainly could connect a DV700 to a Strato and catalog your Blu-ray discs. They don't show up in the onscreen display (because you can't play them), but the act of cataloging them makes you eligible to purchase any available disc-to-digital offers via the Movie Store. No need to involve other UV retailers in the transaction. You could make arrangements for your dealer to catalog all of your discs for you, if they are willing and if you desire (using their DV700).

This is really more about Premiere systems, which have disc-import capabilities. Since Encore products don't import discs, they are eligible to purchase any Disney titles offered to you in the Movie Store. Kaleidescape is not currently part of Disney Movies Anywhere, so in that sense, you're correct that there's no conversion from disc to download available.

Kaleidescape is not currently part of Disney Movies Anywhere, so in that sense, you're correct that there's no conversion from disc to download available.

Disney has recently announced a name change to "Disney Movies Everywhere but Kaleidescape" to more accurately describe their offering. ;)

Back