• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato Hard Drive

gjacobsn

Hi All,

New to the ecosystem. I have a 6tb strato, love it and will certainly end up migrating to a Terra for increased size download speeds etc.

One thing that has me nervous from my reading is that it appears the strato hard drive cannot be replaced. As I build my eco system I will almost certainly want to use my strato as at least a player somewhere in my house.

There are two power options in the settings. One that keeps the unit awake so I can initiate downloads with the app from afar, and another where I have to physically turn the unit on for it to initiate downloads. This is of course annoying, but not terrible.

The question. Will I reduce the risk of the hard drive failing if I set the unit so that it goes into the lowest power mode when sleeping. I would be willing to deal with the annoyance of having to turn it on if it meant the hard drive would last longer. If it doesn't matter though I would just assume leave it in the mode where I can initiate downloads remotely.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I'd leave it on if it were me. In general, hard drives often fail when they are trying to spin up and are more stable when spinning at a constant speed.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd leave it on if it were me. In general, hard drives often fail when they are trying to spin up and are more stable when spinning at a constant speed.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree on leaving it on.

This is a loaded question and really depends on the typical use of the unit. Does it get used at least once every week or 2? If yes, then I say leave it on.

I’m my case I often go 20-30 days or more between watching movies (usually traveling) so if I remember to I will power down my server before leaving to save the hundreds of extra idle disk hours per month.

Used pretty much once a week, so it seems on may be better. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Back