• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato C + Lumagen Radiance Pro

tov5005

For those of you with a Radiance Pro, how do you run video and audio from your Strato? I’m currently running a single HDMI to the Radiance, then audio out from the Radiance to my processor, but have recently been experiencing occasional audio dropouts, about 3-4 per movie.

I’m considering running only video to the Radiance from the Strato and audio from the Strato straight to the processor.

Anyone using this method and having success? I.e no dropouts, lip sync, or hdmi handshake issues?

-Thomas

Same as you and video from RP to my Sony projector and audio to the Trinnov. RP has the latest beta firmware and since these beta firmwares were released I rarely have dropouts. K is not the issue as dropouts happen occasionally from other sources as well. Jim P recommends the Tributaries cables that I use as well, nonetheless dropouts still occasionally occur but never 3-4 per movie. Never run audio from Strato straight to the processor the less cables the better for me.

Are you aware of this thread? New Lumagen Radiance Pro Series

Thanks for the info. Oddly I never have dropouts from Apple TV running through the RP, just K. I’ll try the latest beta firmware to see if that resolves.

Same as Kostas. I had dropouts here and there. Recently I switched from Audioquest cables to Tributaries per Jim’s recommendation. I need to watch some movies to tell if they improved the situation.

I've gone back and forth on this issue (dropouts). I've been using the other method (audio from Strato-C directly to Trinnov Altitude) and only run Video out of the Radiance 5348 directly to the PJ. I have not experienced any audio dropouts since making the change. All I did was move the Audio HDMI Out from the 5348 to the Audio HDMI Out of the Strato, so didn't have to add any cables.

I've only watched maybe a dozen movies, so dropouts may still occur at some point. Also, no lip sync issues.

Jim

Im thinking of doing the same. I’ve tried several things and still have the rare dropout. Hate them and it seems to just be K although that is the most used source in our theater. SJ

Im thinking of doing the same. I’ve tried several things and still have the rare dropout. Hate them and it seems to just be K although that is the most used source in our theater. SJ

Yup, hard to pinpoint the cause. We have too many components in the video chain these days (cables, switches, VP's, audio processors, extenders, matrix switches, boosters, etc., and manufacturers all point to each other as the problem, so without removing components from the AV chain it can be impossible to know for sure. I do one thing at a time. Regarding dropouts, cables made no difference, switch port and switch changes made no difference, then I went direct to the processor from the Strato-C and so far n dropouts, but as I mentioned I haven't played a lot of movies after making the change, so I'll reserve judgment for a while longer.

Jim

Yup, hard to pinpoint the cause. We have too many components in the video chain these days (cables, switches, VP's, audio processors, extenders, matrix switches, boosters, etc., and manufacturers all point to each other as the problem, so without removing components from the AV chain it can be impossible to know for sure. I do one thing at a time. Regarding dropouts, cables made no difference, switch port and switch changes made no difference, then I went direct to the processor from the Strato-C and so far n dropouts, but as I mentioned I haven't played a lot of movies after making the change, so I'll reserve judgment for a while longer.

Jim
I also have a 5348 and will lose the reduced dither for audio, although dropouts are easy to hear vs less dither :cool:

Yeah, I know that's one of the added selling points of the 5348 and one of the reasons many of us moved to the 5348, but at what cost? Like you, I'd like to have the benefits of the improved audio provided by the Radiance, but not if I have to live with the occasional dropout, that's not worth the trade off to me. I'm not saying the improvements the 5348 brings contributes to dropouts, but so far with the Radiance out of the audio chain I've not had a single dropout. Might be a coincidence, might be relevant, or maybe it's too soon to judge, we'll see going forward.

Jim

It would be great if I could connect both options. But as soon as you plug in the Strato HDMI audio output to an AVR, it turns off the audio on the main HDMI video output. Would be good to test or use the audio only when we have more than myself watching something in our theater. Maybe there is an option, but could not find it. SJ

If I'm understanding correctly, I've not found a way to isolate the two HDMI Audio Out from the Strato. You are correct that as soon as you connect to the Strato's audio out connection the audio on the main HDMI Out is disconnected, so I guess the only way to test the expected audio improvements in the 5348 is to swap the Audio Out HDMI between the Strato and Rad Pro while playing the content (I'd pause the movie, make the swap, and continue playing), basically a version of A/B testing.

Frankly, my ears are compromised after my helicopter flying years, and that may be why I'm not detecting any audio issues by bypassing the 5348's audio out. I thought my hearing was fine......but my wife says otherwise.

Jim

Wanted to follow back up on this thread in case it helps or applies to anyone else’s specific situation.

I tried the second method I listed above (same as Jim) and connected an HDMI direct from the Strato’s audio-only HDMI port to my processor (bypassing running K audio through the Lumagen).

I watched 3 movies in entirety and experienced ‘zero’ audio dropouts.

For me, this isn’t a significant change. Yes, it’s one more cable but otherwise, I just simply added a processor input change to the activity in my control system and it’s automatic from there.

Glad to hear that worked. Regarding the "one more cable" I might be missing something, but in my system I just moved the audio out end that was connected to the Rad Pro audio out into the Strato-C audio out, so no additional cable needed. The other end plugged into the Trinnov Alt did not change.

Are you referring to the improved dither processing in the Rad Pro when you indicate "isn't a significant change?" If so, I found that to be the case in my system as well. (To be clear, I love the Trinnov's capabilities, but I prefer the dropout free audio to the stated dither improvements. If there was a way to eliminate the dropouts without bypassing the Pro, I'd be happy to try it.)

Jim

I have other sources going through the Lumagen that I still use the audio out for, Apple TV for example. So I didn’t want to remove it. I just added an HDMI from Strato to processor. Oddly, the Strato is the only source that had dropouts.

Regarding the “not significant change” I meant more so that I didn’t have to configure or modify my current system setup, other than ensuring that processor input change when I select to use the Strato. The previous input is still used for the Lumagen’s other connected sources.

I have a pro 4242 so I can’t take advantage of the 5 series new audio either capabilities anyway (as far as I understand)

Got it, I have another Rad Pro for my other sources. I stupidly did not consider the norm (that's why I said unless I'm missing something, and obviously I was!) (my english teacher would freak at that sentence) :mad:

Understood, and yes, you are correct regarding the 4242 (still an excellent processor).

Jim

Hmmm. I also made the switch. No issues with audio drops and hate to say this, but I think the audio is actually improved. Even though the Lumagen 5348 re-locks/clocks the audio and in theory reduces jitter. I’m pretty savvy regarding audio as a musician and audioholic. Maybe the direct audio only connection to the Strato is eliminating something vs going through the Lumagen. Still believe the 5348 is superior for audio vs. other models. Still using it for other sources, just not the Strato. Going to try for awhile, but thanks Jim for bringing up this option for me to try again! SJ

One other way to reduce jitter (source of the 5348 audio improvements) is with a NPS. Our 5348 and Strato both have them.

Sorry, LPS. Linear power supply, i.e. Keces P8.

You use that with your K gear? Just your Strato? I'm curious to hear more. I'm really intrigued to try one on my Strato C, see if I notice any difference/improvement, and make some video content on it. That Keces is $800+, but I've seen some linear/toroidal supplies for like $500. The Teddy Pardo mentioned in another thread, for example.

Back