• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato C HDMI issue

dlaunde

Having an issue with my Strato C and JVC NZ7 setup.

Every so often, the Strato C cannot properly communicate via HDMI with the NZ7, preventing the video capabilities from not showing (if I go to the Settings screen via web browser). This causes HDR content to not play and also audio drop outs every 5-7 seconds.
Restarting the Strato C via web browser fixes it.

Can also confirm the HDMI cable from my AVM70 to the NZ7 works perfectly, as the Xbox Series X I have connected never has issues detecting full HDMI 2.1 support.
(The cable is a Ruipro certified 25ft active). And the HDMI cable from the Strato C to the AVM70 is also not the issue.

The easy solution is just to restart the Strato C every time I go to turn on the system. I have an RTI remote setup but cannot find/not sure if a System Restart command exists?
The other solution I thought of is setting the Power mode of the Strato C to Energy Savings (instead of Standby)...but then I cannot power it up over Ethernet command via the RTI, correct?

Again, restarting the Strato C solves the issue. But then it will randomly occur after sitting in standby when not in use anymore/entire system is off (doesn't occur while watching content). Needing another restart to work again.

Any suggestions?

How does your startup-sequence look like? Since you mention you have an RTI system, i guess it´s automated?
It should first start the projector, then the AVR and then the Strato. This should allow the EDID information to ripple down from sink to source.

That is how I have it.

JVC turns on first and then there is a wait time until it is fully powered up. Then the AVM70 turns on and fully powers on before the Strato C turns on.

Hm, bummer. Really sounds as if the EDID information is not flowing correctly during the power-on sequence and after a reboot of the Strato it gets it.
AFAIK, there´s no reboot command in the Kscape API. There´s a command to go into standby and leave standby, but not a reboot.
There are also no commands to refresh the HDMI connection AFAIK.
So i think asking Kscape-support is a good idea.

Is there a rock solid/sure fire active HDMI cable Kscape owners use?

If I set the Strato C to Energy Saving, this will cause it to go through the long start up process, similar to restarting it, every time it is turned on right?

Is there a rock solid/sure fire active HDMI cable Kscape owners use?
Active cables can break over time since there´s eletronic components in there and sometimes the connectors can get pretty hot.
If´distance allows, we try to avoid them and use passive cables. For 25ft, i´d go for a passive cable.

Actually, I found that Zeskit makes a 23ft (5m) HDMI 2.1 cable. I am using the same cable (albeit only 10ft) for my living room setup. I will give it a try.

Is there a downside to running video directly to the JVC and audio via HDMI to the AVM70? Would Dolby Atmos/DTS X still work just fine?

Is there a downside to running video directly to the JVC and audio via HDMI to the AVM70? Would Dolby Atmos/DTS X still work just fine?

Yes, should all work. However, you most likely will get lipsync issues that you need to adjust using your AVR.

Actually, I found that Zeskit makes a 23ft (5m) HDMI 2.1 cable. I am using the same cable (albeit only 10ft) for my living room setup. I will give it a try.

I love zeskit, and have had a good experience with their cables. Definitely worth a try. Worst case, you can always return it to Amazon.

Does unplugging the HDMI cable from the Strato fix the issue as well? Metra makes a box that can do that via a relay if so.

Kevin D.

dlaunde,
I've got a similar setup and similar problem with audio dropping out. I power the JVC NZ8 up first, Anthem AVM70 and amps next, and Strato C last. The audio from the Strato drops out for 5-7 seconds. The workaround I've used is to unplug and plug in the HDMI cable into the AVM70. I've confirmed that it is not an HDMI cable issue. I'm using Binary 8K cables from SnapAV.

I've talked to both kscape engineers and Anthem tech support about this. Kscape engineers are aware of the problem and have seen this a couple of times with Anthem products. They say it's a problem with the Anthem HDMI ports themselves. Something about a corrupt file within the HDMI port itself.

This was the response I got from Anthem tech support:
"I have heard of some Kscape issues when integrated with our latest MRX and AVM units. There was a known issue which we have since corrected with our latest firmware version and I have not heard any further reports of this issue or a new one like it. Please provide any info you have on this issue so that I may pass it further up the chain as needed. Any issues like this would be resolved with time as we release new firmware versions constantly to address issues and make improvements."
Raman B
Technical Support Advisor
Paradigm | Anthem AV

It sounds like Anthem isn't going to fix the bug unless more people let them know about this problem. Their email is support@anthemav.com if you want to let them know you're also experiencing this problem.

Kevin D,
Yes, unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable does fix the issue. I'll check out the Metro box until an Anthem firmware update comes. Thank you for this info!

Thanks!
I will let them know.

However, I have switched to the Kscape being directly connected to the projector for video and the HDMI audio out going to the Anthem. So far it is working good. And no lip sync issues.

That's great to know. I was wondering how that worked - connecting Kscape directly to the projector for video and the HDMI audio to the Anthem. Good to know it's working good for you. I'm going to try the same. Thanks!

Back