• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato C a bit hot?

SJHT

Swapped my older Strato 6GB for a Strato C in our theater. The unit always seems to be hot even when in standby. It’s well within the green range in temp in the web GUI, but why is it even barely on when in standby? There is no storage. Should just have enough going on to power on via IP and not much else. SJ

Yes I noticed mine cooking too. From the speed it turns on, I don’t think it ever completely turns off but inserts blank screen to GUI.

I don’t hear any fan noise. It perhaps passively cools and uses the aluminum chassis as its heatsink.

Here are the specs for power:

• Max consumption: 20W
• Typical: 17W
• High power standby: 12W
• Low power standby: 0.50W • External power adapter: 100-
240VAC to 12VDC @ 5A, 60W with detachable line cord

I very much doubt it ever goes to low power standby as hot as it always is. Besides the once in awhile firmware update, I might just put it on the circuit in my setup which powers off the AC when not in use. SJ

Check with Kscape. If you use your Strato-C daily, going from cold to hot to cold frequently could potentially add more stress.

50-60C on the silicone is pretty healthy in general. Flash memory actually works better when warm.

It would be nice if Kscape can clarify if the aluminum chassis act as a heatsink. In this case, some 2U spacing above the case would allow the heat to better radiate away from the unit.

Low-power standby is a mode that has to be explicitly enabled. We don’t recommend it in most cases, because it leaves the component unable to be turned on via IP. You can only turn it on via power button or IR.

The Strato C does use the aluminum case as a heat sink until it detects that it's internal temperature is getting too hot at which point it will activate an internal cooling fan. That allows us to strike a balance between reliability and silent operation.

Assuming that there is adequate, non-stagnant airspace around the Strato C, it should remain within acceptable operating temperature.

The Strato C on my desk here remains at not much more than room temperature even when playing a movie. I grant you that I likely have significantly more airspace around my Strato C than one might have in a typical rack or cabinet installation. But if your Strato C is truly hot to the touch, the first recommendation would be to examine the airflow.

Back