• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato C + 40TB Terra Server

MAttHEATLifer

I am looking to purchase a Strato C + 40TB Terra Server in the next few months and am curious as the noise lvl of the Terra, it will be about 8 ft from me located below the tv, is the noise lvl bad or will I not notice it ?

Would it be better to by a 10TB Strato for the time being until I am able to have the terra in another room ?

Thanks for any help, this is my first post and am looking forward to being apart of the Kaleidescape family.

The Terra Server is virtually silent. You might hear some HDD activity now and again when the room is silent (but you would with the Strato as well) but overall, you'll never even notice that it's on.

My suggestion would be to get a 10T Strato and once you fill that, another 10T Strato and so on.

Not for noise reasons, but because you get more zones. If it were me, I would add 3 stratos first before thinking of terra.

If you are sure you will not add a second zone anytime soon, then terra makes more sense.

Either way, you will love the kscape world. I started with 1U and vault and now have added m300, K6000, another 1U, alto and a Strato. Soon another Strato or terra may be part of the group.

I only wish K would add more movies soon and provide UV for all studios and DMA for Disney. That way, I can just buy all my movies from k and have it on the cloud for traveling situations.

Good luck.

Thank you for the info...
Glad the Strato's and Terra's are not noisey...

I have decided to go with a 10TB Strato and a 40TB Terra, as in the Terra server it works out to $3,248.75 per a 10TB and with the 10TB Strato if you deduct the cost so the Strato C (no storage) you end up with $2,500 for the 10TB on the 10TB Strato...

I am going to wait until after C.E.D.I.A. Just in case they would release a Stato with a 4k Disc Drive... Hopeing that maybe they will so I have play 4K movies not in store and get Disc to digital offers on the blurays I own...

I am only needing 1 zone right now but plan on adding a 10TB Strato to each room once I move out of town home and into a house...

Please keep in mind that a system may have at most four players with built-in storage, and any given Strato player with storage can only support two movie playbacks from its hard drive at a time (either one on the player itself plus one on a remote player, or two on remote players and none on the local player).

For any Strato system in which you may want to play more than two movies at the same time, or have more than four total player zones, we recommend that all storage be in a Terra server, and that you use Strato C players.

Is the storage priority of an Encore system to always use a Terra if sufficient space is available, or do you have to watch and make sure the Stratos don't overtake it?

Downloads would go to Terra if it has space available. Once it's full, they would start going to the Strato players.

Given the opportunity for a disc crash on a Strato (happened to me on an Alto) and the lack of built in backup, I would HIGHLY recommend the Terra approach - which has a RAID backup as part of the architecture. While disc crashes will be very infrequent, they are absolutely inevitable. And re-downloading onto a Strato 100 or 200 movies would be incredibly time consuming vs the little time it would take to replace a drive on the Terra.

Just sayin'

I'm pretty sure none of the Encore systems have RAID including the Terra server. When I look at the specs for the Terra, you can use all 40TB for content.

Only the Premier servers have RAID.

John

That's correct with a caveat. Terra uses all four drives for content storage (no RAID for content), so if you were to have a drive failure, it would be necessary to download the content that was on that drive again.

The library information, though, is written to all four disks, so if you lost a disk, you would not lose any information about the contents of the library, or any customizations you might have done (scenes, changes to metadata, collections, etc.)

That's correct with a caveat. Terra uses all four drives for content storage (no RAID for content), so if you were to have a drive failure, it would be necessary to download the content that was on that drive again.

The library information, though, is written to all four disks, so if you lost a disk, you would not lose any information about the contents of the library, or any customizations you might have done (scenes, changes to metadata, collections, etc.)

Does the Terra store the same information that is stored for its drives about the "attached" Strato or Alto. THAT would at least be helpful. When I had my Alto replaced, I lost ALL of my catalogued movies that were not stored on the Alto. A MAJOR bummer since it was about 500 additional movies that I had catalogued.

If you have Strato or Alto players (with storage) in a system with a Terra, or indeed in a system with another Strato or Alto player that has storage, then the cataloged disc information exists on all of those components. If one component were to fail or go offline, the other components would still have that information available.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cataloged information on the Alto. We have ambitions to bring library information into "the cloud" in the future, both for backup purposes and because it could improve the experience a lot for people who may have systems in more than one home. At this point, though, there's no public schedule for that feature.

That is good news at least.

If you have Strato or Alto players (with storage) in a system with a Terra, or indeed in a system with another Strato or Alto player that has storage, then the cataloged disc information exists on all of those components. If one component were to fail or go offline, the other components would still have that information available.

THAT is good news. I'm no where near the point of needing a Terra but this might push me over the edge to purchase a Strato.

I remember K announced some Strato alternatives with no memory, 6 Terra Bytes (original model), 10 Terra Bytes and maybe one more. What is the MSRP of the new ones? (10TB and larger)?

Thanks.

Strato-C (No storage, playback only, small footprint) $3,495
Strato w/6TB internal storage, $4,495
Strato w/10TB internal storage, $5,995

Terra Servers:
24TB is $7,995 (4 6TB)
40TB is $12,995 (4 10TB)

All prices retail. Those are the only Strato and Terra versions currently available.

Jim

Jim:

Since you are a K dealer, can we go off line and talk about the possibility of me purchasing a K product from you?

Not sure how to do that since this site has no ability to do Private Messages that I can see.

Jim would be a great person to purchase from. To send a PM, click his user name and then hit send a private message.

Kevin D.

Jim would be a great person to purchase from. To send a PM, click his user name and then hit send a private message.

Kevin D.

Thanks. I tried that and was not given that option. But then realized I was not logged in :eek:

I will PM him.

Back