• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Strato 10TB & Strato S 12TB

nomad07

So I'm curious about a few things.

Best Buy has had, and still currently sells, the Strato (non-S) with 10TB drive.
1. Isn't the Starto long discontinued? Why don't they have the Starto S?
2. Was there ever officially a 10TB model; or perhaps this is a BB exclusive?

Does anyone here own a S or non-S Strato with more than 6TB and if so what size? Just curious since all the Starto owner posts and used sales I see regarding the Strato seem to be the 6TB model. From my perspective buying two 6TB models seems like a better investment than buying one Strato with 12TB (or 10TB) so perhaps the reason. Thoughts?

We did, indeed, sell a 10 TB Strato. It was not a Magnolia exclusive item.

We did, indeed, sell a 10 TB Strato. It was not a Magnolia exclusive item.

So since it's been discontinued for a while, then BB (Magnolia) is just trying to move through new old stock I suppose?

Last edited:
I bought a Stratos S 12tb last month and just ordered another Stratos S 12tb and a Terra 40tb

I bought a Stratos S 12tb last month and just ordered another Stratos S 12tb and a Terra 40tb

Nice. Is it all going in one location, or two? Any reason you didn’t go with say two 6TB Strato and the one Terra and just add another Terra when you need it, or even two 24TB Terra instead of one 40TB for basically the same space that you have but allowing easier upgrade by swapping out the drives of the Terras down the road and ending up with more space down the road and hopefully lower costs and drive costs drop without adding more hardware? Just curious.

I’ll keep the Strato and Terra at one place, and place a Stratos unit at another location. In the primary home, we have the Kscape system in use in our primary media room. I looked at just getting a Stratos C unit with this second order to use with the Terra but it seemed like not that much more $ to step up to the Stratos S 6tb. When I thought a little more about it, i decided to just get the 12tb given the better cost per TB ratio.
I bought the first Stratos S 12tb (being recently brand new to Kscape) not knowing of just how much of the content I had in my UV library collection would translate to Kscape. I would say about 85% of the movies I had in UV (130) translated to Kscape store movies. I then bought the 25-4K movie promo to help bolster more 4K/hdr movie content for movies that I had but didn’t have access to a digital copy. Ultimately, I’m wanting all 4K/hdr content to be on my units as much as possible.....I might look at putting HD on the Strato and 4K/hdr on the Terra, who knows? there are obviously some of the movies that simply aren’t available or are only available in HD at best in the Kstore.
Now, I’m anxiously awaiting Movies Anywhere library integration, as I have more movie content (185) to integrate and am hoping for a similar ratio (or better) translates to kstore content. the additional movies in my current VUDU library along with an additional shared library I have with a brother has about 750 movies collectively and I didn’t want to merge the libraries and take a chance on things getting lost with the UV shutdown. We use that largely for streaming access and where it is more about convenience to use where the quality is ‘good enough’.
understanding from reading some general user comments that a Terra server may also download/write at a faster rate than the Stratos S, along with it having the added storage, made me want to add a Terra to the mix and give myself plenty of storage access. During my initial download experience of doing the 25-4K movie promo, each movie took on average about 75-90 mins, which was fine but if that can be even faster, then even better.

While I wouldn’t mind putting all my movies on local storage to avoid the download time it would take me three 40TB Terra units to hold my current collection between UV and MA, not to mention Vudu exclusive which of course won’t port to K, well unless they become MA at some point. Of course this all depends on K signing up with MA, which I see happening at some point. In either case I just can’t justify putting them all of local storage given the volume and thus how many get watched rarely, or in some cases never (so far). If at some point MA goes away I’d probably actually buy all those Terra units plus some backup Terra and Strato just in case K ever went away to avoid loosing my large collection, especially since I add several movies each week, mostly 4K these days provided it’s offered. I’m really surprised that not all theatrical releases aren’t 4K these days.

Back