• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Startup help

Oldred

Hi, apologies in advance for what is maybe a long winded question.

We have Crestron and have for years ‘started the Cinema Room up together with the auto launch of a movie themes playlist which you can listen to while everyone is sitting and settling down. Fairly simple stuff because the Crestron simply selected and powered up the Linn DS in the room and using it’s auto play feature it just played whatever was in its playlist (which was the movie themes). When the K was installed a lot of things changed including some re-programming and they forgot to reinstate that Linn ‘bit’. I can just get them to do that but it occurs to me that with the K that maybe there is a way of the Crestron powering it on and then playing the music or maybe better still a pre-defined set of movie theme clips with music. I know nothing about scripts but know they exist but before I get too excited I am not sure how easy it is for Crestron to start things up on K and select a pre defined script?

I would expect that to be easy enough but is it?

Or is there even a movie themes ‘movie/programme’ to buy and select in the store?.
As a example the playlist had things like Indiana Jones, Superman themes, Star Wars, Bridge over River Kwai, etc etc big sounding, very recognisable movie theme.
Ideally they want to be normal tune length. We also had the famous Pearl & Dean music in between each track which everyone seemed to love. The oldies at least.

The added benefit being able to see the scene as well on K would be cool but just the audio still works.

I thought I would ask the collective wisdom as I myself disappear down the into the digging around pit of despair seeing if I can work it out myself.

Am I wasting my time or is this easy?

This is fairly easy to do once you understand Scripts on K.

I have done something similar at times myself. The closest example is I made a Movie Night script that would first play the Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague concert and then the actual movie that we wanted to watch.

Should be easy to start using your control system as all you do is send a play_script command to the player with the name of the script.

John

This is fairly easy to do once you understand Scripts on K.

I have done something similar at times myself. The closest example is I made a Movie Night script that would first play the Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague concert and then the actual movie that we wanted to watch.

Should be easy to start using your control system as all you do is send a play_script command to the player with the name of the script.

John
Thanks John. I had the got the impression that it would be fairly straightforward. I will start reading up on scripts etc.

The zimmer movie had crossed my mind after posting last night funnily enough. I will also look to see if there are any movie music documentaries that lend themselves to this. I.e. something with shorter excerpts of the catchy bits :)

Thanks again.

Just to get you started, the tab to do Scripts is found using IP address/scripts of your server.

John

That's a cool idea!

If you don't mind, can I ask here about script/scene permanence when a title is update or shuffled in and out of storage? Is any part of the script or scene list stored in "cloud" and available when a removed tile is re-downloaded?I recall updates being a bit of a hiccup and was cautious about investing much effort in scenes and scripts knowing I shuffle titles often.

The scripts and custom scenes can be saved to a computer and reloaded whenever needed. These can also be shared between users - see the following thread/resources page:

John

Unless my experiment was misguided, you can delete a move for which you have scenes and they will be available when you re-download the same version of that title. Scenes aren't tied to the same instance of the movie. That's a relief.

Are your talking custom scenes marked by users? I haven’t tried deleting and re-downloading movies with scenes that I marked recently but in the past there have been cases when I have lost scenes (but not always).

The one time you will lose custom scenes is when you do an “Update” from the Store. You will lose and custom scenes and the Store will warm you this this will happen.

John

Are your talking custom scenes marked by users? I haven’t tried deleting and re-downloading movies with scenes that I marked recently but in the past there have been cases when I have lost scenes (but not always).

The one time you will lose custom scenes is when you do an “Update” from the Store. You will lose and custom scenes and the Store will warm you this this will happen.

John

This is what I was trying to test out. I had a title with some scenes I created. Deleted the title. Re-downloaded. The scenes are still there.

The download log did say "previously downloaded" so perhaps I didn't give the system enough time to "forget it," but I did have to check the title under the download menu.

Scripts are a cool idea until you realize the time it takes to construct scenes, or even to re-create chapters. I just wanted to make sure that all that effort would survive my shuffling of titles until I have a more generous amount of storage to accommodate.

An older title might be less at risk for updates but an HD-to-4K upgrade would wipe out the scenes. So I will proceed with caution.

I did back-up my scenes though, just in case.

Back