• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CONFIRMED FIXED: Star Wars - Bluray No MetaData!!

Panamar

But so far they are all importing :D

Hi Folks

Not been about for awhile, busy with other duties... trust your all well!

Went out today and brought 'Star Wars - The Complete Saga' on bluray (region free) and blow me... no meta-data has appeared! :eek:

I know it's fairly new but kinda expected this collection on BD to be top of the list!

My question is, should I enter the UK UPC number '5039036048453' for all 9 discs or wait for K to clock it? Also, if I enter my own meta-data (which will be poached directly from the sd-dvd versions) will K's automatically override mine once they have got it in their system?

Pan.

Haha - give them a chance - its only been a few hours :)

As a new UK based K user could you let me know what you normally do around new UK BR releases ? Do you send your BR's in to K in the UK or somehow lookup the american equivalent and tell the system to use that (although I presume the video bookmarks would not work in that case).

The other thing that concerned me was around scenes. I have a couple of hundered BR's in my changer now but very few scenes for them. Do UK versions of BR's work with scenes designed for the American discs if that makes sense as a question ?

Cherers for any advice
Chris

Hi Chris

Normally I only purchase US BD's from Movietyme (as they're either Reg A or Free). It's an old hang up I have from the days of NTSC prog-scan being around before PAL & earlier US disc releases. I know it's not such a big deal now but that's how I like it!!

All my players are Reg 1 or A except one which is reg 2 so metadata comes in thick 'n fast!

I have previously had issues with UK BD discs such as Pinocchio (still region free) and a few others but after adding my own coverart and meta-data K have never updated my data to theirs. It's not a biggie but would be nice! I have however become extremely proficient at BD coverart :)

I bought SW - TCSaga 9 disc ed. from Blockbusters today as it was region free but only time will tell if the data comes in...

But I would like to hear if any US K users have received the SW metadata automatically???

Pan.

I am currently trying out the loan proceedure via my dealer. Will let you know how that goes. If it really is a week turn around I am happy to go that route.

Chris

In UK I send non recognised discs to Kaleidescape at Bracknell. I allow a week for Bluray and a couple of weeks for Dvds. Bluray are prioritised for bookmarking. If you send them an email they will give a more accurate estimate.

There are frequently differences between Dvd/Bluray releases in different zones and regions. I suspect scenes works best with US released discs. However given the thoroughness of Kaleidescape I expect that the scenes "hit rate" will improve over time for non US released discs.

I think this disc being the region free edition should be the one most people end up with so theres a very good chance that it's exactly the same as the US/CA etc... editions, so hopefully there'll be no need to send them off before I've watched them!!

I went ahead and plonked the same UPC code on each bluray... hope that works!

Thanks Folks...

Also, if I enter my own meta-data (which will be poached directly from the sd-dvd versions) will K's automatically override mine once they have got it in their system?

Pan.
In my experiece, not unless you go back and tell it to. Somewhat annoying to have to check, but at least flipping to K's content (or lack thereof) is not permanent until you hit the Save button.

Isn't the official U.S. release date Sep. 13th?? If so, that might be why the metadata isn't available yet (stll the 12th here).

Jim

In my experiece, not unless you go back and tell it to. Somewhat annoying to have to check, but at least flipping to K's content (or lack thereof) is not permanent until you hit the Save button.

The only annoying bit I find is that all bookmarks are lost, so when I select 'play' the movie starts from the very beginning of the disc as if 'in the player' with ads/trailers et all!!

I have the official US release as kind of weird- Friday the 16th. Its usually Tuesday.

Jerry please let us know if you get the matadata in on this. Did you get the six disc or nine disc edition? Infact is your UPC number the same as mine above? I wonder what K will do for the artwork on the additional 3 disc extras? Perhaps just add them in the K pop-up menu as a 'view/play extras' tab.

Also one other issue that may potentially arise is that when manually entering metadata K do not give the end user the ability to input the aspect ratio (as far as i'm aware it's only inputted when the system auto finds the data)... If the new anamorphic stretch for all formats on a CIH setup requires this info will it be displayed correctly? (Is the info required for the stretch to work determined by the disc data itself or K's onscreen data)?

Pan.

Hi Pan, I don't know because I don't have my discs. Amazon says Ill get mine next week.

I have found in the past sometimes the K database takes a day or two to update and it usually is a good practice to do what you did- put in the UPC. I bet you're right about the new CIH software.

Also one other issue that may potentially arise is that when manually entering metadata K do not give the end user the ability to input the aspect ratio (as far as i'm aware it's only inputted when the system auto finds the data)... If the new anamorphic stretch for all formats on a CIH setup requires this info will it be displayed correctly? (Is the info required for the stretch to work determined by the disc data itself or K's onscreen data)?

Pan.

It would be displayed correctly but your masking system would open up to the full screen (2.35) position. This is standard behaviour whenever the aspect ratio is unknown (as it would be with unrecognised content).

Thanks. Is the new system for the Kscape a firmware upgrade? How is it activated?

By the way I received all the Bluray artwork for all 6 of the movies at some point today!! (well done K, fast work as ever!) The bookmarks and the 'extras' discs are still to be done... but its nice to see images! Thanks!

Pan.

That's correct Jerry, I had seen the release referenced in Amazon's week 13 date and missed the "week of" language and assumed it was Tuesday. Amazon does show it as a Friday release.

Jim

It was obviously today, mine just showed up.

Jim

So for those that got it - first impressions? How does it look?

I already know that we won't get to see Han shoot first in glorious 1080p, so I 'm just trying to get a sense of the picture and sound quality.HAHA

First impression of Phantom Menace, watched about 25 minutes:

LOOKS REAL GOOD. Never looked better. Id want to see some more but it looks real clear and it doesn't seem to have excessive edge enhancement.

SOUNDS even better. My goodness. WOW.

Shocker: watching it, I found myself thinking: this movie isn't as bad as I remember it. I wonder why that is and my working theory is the first time I saw it, all the new characters are all so weird, fake and somewhat stereotypical, I think that turned me off. Just letting that go and listening to what they are saying- maybe the movie is better than I remembered? I think also, on the prior formats the image of this movie in particular seemed a bit cartoonish, whereas here the image is really solid and it looks a lot more real.

No matter- the BR for this seems like its doing the material justice.

NOW- if only we could get a 1080P version of Han shoots first! :D

Btw- Pan, you asked if I got the metadata- I did. :)

One thing Im missing and I found X Men First Class is missing as well and I also found this with Avatar until they fixed it: the alien language subtitles are not coming on (well it was German in X Men). So when Greedo says "hey, dude, we've been looking for you and btw- this is the new GL version where I shoot you first so watch out" I just have the video- its not that big a deal but it is something that needs to be addressed.

Back