• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Speed Reader Experiences and Opinions

snorvich

I am new to the board and am evaluating what to purchase. What are people's experiences with the speed reader? Any problems? Do you know what MSRP is for this device? If you have this to upload DVDs I assume you will only need the small player for each TV? Can this be remote (upstairs) in another room with the server? (you can tell I am new) Thanks in advance.:)

What are people's experiences with the speed reader? Any problems? Do you know what MSRP is for this device?
Our experience with the speed reader has been great no issues or problems at all. As far as the MSRP it's about $5,700.00

If you have this to upload DVDs I assume you will only need the small player for each TV? Can this be remote (upstairs) in another room with the server?
I would recommend against purchasing the speed reader and instead purchasing a least 1 full movie player. The reason behind that is 1) you will only need to bulk load your entire collection once. Spending $5700 on a piece of equipment that will not see any real action after the initial upload of your collection seems to be a waste. (NOW, if the cost to upload your DVD/CD collection is >$5700 then you may want to think about purchasing it.) 2) Breaking out the speed reader to load one DVD or CD is a pain. It's much easier to just pop the DVD or CD into the movie player and let it import. I would buy one full movie player for the theater or great room to play movies and to upload additional DVD's or CD's you purchase and then the mini players for the bed rooms, kitchen, etc.

Hope that helps. Any questions let me know.

Last edited:
I am new to the board and am evaluating what to purchase. What are people's experiences with the speed reader? Any problems? Do you know what MSRP is for this device? If you have this to upload DVDs I assume you will only need the small player for each TV? Can this be remote (upstairs) in another room with the server? (you can tell I am new) Thanks in advance.:)

I have the original speed reader (bulk loader) and like it a lot, but as a dealer we have more opportunity to use it than the typical K owner. Like other dealers, we sometimes lease the unit for a week or two to allow owners to complete the initial importing of their collections. After the initial importing, most owners find they only buy a few movies at a time and importing these is easy even with a single Movie Player.

If you are thinking about getting the speed reader for use as the ONLY reader in your system, and plan to buy only 1080p Mini-Players, then that is possible but you should consider any loss of functionality you might have in that setup (i.e. DVD playback w/o import, etc.).

You can setup the speed reader in any room, provided you have the proper cabling, space, and access to the OSD. (Yes, you could put it with the server.):)

Jim

Thanks everyone. James, do you lease the speed reader? If not, do you have sources who will. Thanks again. Looks like a great system.

Thanks everyone. James, do you lease the speed reader? If not, do you have sources who will. Thanks again. Looks like a great system.

We do lease the speed reader. By the day, week or weekend. If you would like more information contact me off board.

Another thing to consider with respect to the Speed Reader in a home environment: the unit is loud, loud, loud when the robotic arm is in action.

Thanks everyone. I did in fact get one. Fortunately, one can power it off when not using it because it is noisy: fans plus robotic arms plus the little jiggle are not quiet. Still, since I load batches of 20-30 it is very convenient. Not quite as fast as advertised (mine does 4 DVD's per hour). But, for me, and my needs, it is highly recommended.

Thanks everyone. I did in fact get one. Fortunately, one can power it off when not using it because it is noisy: fans plus robotic arms plus the little jiggle are not quiet. Still, since I load batches of 20-30 it is very convenient. Not quite as fast as advertised (mine does 4 DVD's per hour). But, for me, and my needs, it is highly recommended.

Congrats!

Regarding the speed, the averages quoted by K are based on the time needed to import an average DVD (6.7GB?). Your speed will be slower if:
1. The DVD has more content.
2. The DVD's protection scheme makes it difficult to import.
3. Any other DVD issue (dirty/damaged, etc). (May not import at all, but could also import but slowly)

Jim

Of the 500+ DVDs so far, two were unable to be imported via speed reader (at least in a reasonable time). Those two, however, were imported using the Reader in under an hour. I could not see dirt but one never knows.

Back