• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Spanish text on screen with subtitles off

tnedator

Ok, I'm thinking it was Spanish, but I didn't pay close attention, as I was trying to ignore it.

I watched the Choice last night and whenever it showed text on the screen, like "Seven years earlier" or "15 missed messages" on the phone, they displayed a translated version of it on the screen.

I checked and subtitles were off, and I went through and tried cycling subtitles on and then off to see if it would clear it.

As this isn't really subtitles, any idea if there is a setting for this or if was this a bad rip by K that included these translated titles in the base copy?

Was this a DVD, a Blu-ray disc, or a Movie Store download? If the latter, in which format?

Which version of kOS is your system running?

In your player's settings, have you specified a preferred language?

I am having this same issue.

Subtitles turned off, but on some movies, Spanish subtitles appear briefly for translations of signs etc in the movie. It has happened with 3 or 4 movies so far. Blu-rays as well as downloads. For example, the "Hidden Figures" download continuously displays the Spanish translation of the restroom signs whenever they appear in the movie. I have subtitles turned off, and have tried setting the preferred language as "none" as well as "english".

Another two movies that it has happened on: "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and "Smokey and the Bandit".

I only noticed this happening recently, the past week.

It happens on my M700 and on my M500. And on two different displays (Projector and TV).

Last edited:
Well, that shouldn't happen. Are the three movies you mentioned Blu-ray discs or downloads?

Well, that shouldn't happen. Are the three movies you mentioned Blu-ray discs or downloads?

This happened to me with Hidden Figures blu ray as well. the bathroom sign and some other random signs that were of importance to the movie.

Kaleidescape support have escalated the issue and they say there will be a fix within 24 hours, and I should retest. Really impressed with how quickly they jumped on it. I'll report back here.

My system was updated to 6.3.1-17124 on May 8....

To the question about the source, it happened with both imported Blu-rays and downloads. In particular, "Hidden Figures" (download), "Smokey and the Bandit" (blu-ray) and "On her majesty's secret service" (blu-ray).

(I am having a car chase scene party on Thursday hence the strange blu-rays... ;) )

Hidden Figures should have been fixed on the 24th, and we've also fixed the Bond movie as of today. Could you double-check "Smokey"? This is actually a kOS bug that we're working around in the short term until it's fixed properly, and "Smokey" doesn't fit the pattern.

Hmmmm, do I need an update before I see the fixes?

As of a couple of minutes ago, I checked one of the movies (the Bond movie), and the issue is still there.

See attachment.

This is in the movie with 37 minutes left.

Attachments

• majesty.jpg
    majesty.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 14
To see the change, your system needs to get a Movie Guide update. It's possible that it has not yet come through. Perhaps give it a try tonight or tomorrow?

Thanks!

To see the change, your system needs to get a Movie Guide update. It's possible that it has not yet come through. Perhaps give it a try tonight or tomorrow?

I just purchased another 6 movies from the store and it downloaded the movie guide first, but I am still seeing the issue right now (after the movie guide was updated). I'll try again tomorrow after all the downloads are done. Thanks for being so proactive on this issue!

Just checked this morning. "Hidden Figures" is fixed. "On her Majesty's secret service" is not fixed. I also checked through my saved "Smokey and the bandit" scenes, and did not see any issue, so possibly I mixed it up with another movie.

By the way, when you go to check this, be sure to "play movie" or perhaps "play scene". If you resume from your former paused location, the subtitle selection is actually saved as part of that pause bookmark, so you won't see the updated behavior.

I am bumping this back up again, because I am still having issues with unwanted Spanish subtitles that I cannot turn off.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" shows unwanted Spanish subtitles for the songs only. The rest of the dialog is fine, no subtitles. But all the songs have subtitles.

I am pretty sure this is a new problem, as the last time I watched the movie a couple of years ago, it was not a problem.

Would you please PM me your server serial number so we can be sure we're looking at the correct version of the movies?

Back