• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Soft Power Down and Power Up

Rosebud

Is there a way to soft power down my 3U server? I would like to do this when I leave the house for long periods. The K-Scape server is not very energy efficient and idling the hard drives should extend their life. I would need to restart the server as well.

Currently, I simply press the on/off button on the front when I leave. This is not very elegant and I often forget.

How harsh would turning the power off through the power cord be on a K-scape?

K recommends powering down using the "On/Off" as you are currently doing, or by using the web utility to shutdown the Server. Cutting the power directly from the wall, however that is accomplished, is not the recommended method.

It may seem like the power turns off at the same "speed" when unpluggong or using the O/O button, but there is delay by using the O/O and web utility, and none when the power is simply cut off.

Once the power is off, it's off, the drives will spin down and stop. There is no way for them to "idle." The client's/friends that do power down their systems when on vacation use the O/O button method, from what I'm told.

Jim

Below is from the Kaleidescape support site. This seems to indicate that you can simply cut the power, at least for a 3U server. I don't know if this will also work for the disk vault.

Regards

Stephen

'Kaleidescape recommends leaving servers powered on for the reasons outlined in [K001393]. In some circumstances, such as when a vacation property sits vacant for months at a time, the owner of a Kaleidescape System may consider these factors and still request that the server be powered down while the home is unoccupied.

In these cases, a Kaleidescape 1U or 3U Server may be connected to a power sequencer connected to a control system. If the server is on and the power is cut, then, when the power is restored, the server will turn on automatically.

Due to differences in disk drive technology, Kaleidescape recommends NOT using a power sequencer or controlled outlet to turn a 5U Server on and off.

There is no control protocol command to turn a Kaleidescape Server on or off via RS-232 or TCP/IP.'

Correct, it "can" be done that way for owner's that have those systems, but in general, K still recommends powering down as mentioned above.

That said, I suspect there is very little, if any, negative impact on the electronics by simply disconnecting power directly from the wall, but personally, I still follow the button method.:)

Jim

Back