• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

So who's upgrading to M-Class?

Have you decided whether to upgrade to M-Class?

• I'm definitely going to upgrade, I upgrade every time regardless.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I'm definitely going to upgrade this time, M-Class delivers the features I was expecting.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I'm considering, M-Class doesn't deliver what I was expecting and I need time to think about it.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I'm definitely not going to upgrade, I'm happy with what I have already.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm definitely not going to upgrade, M-Class does not deliver what I was expecting.

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brodricj

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Now that we've had a few days to digest the new M-Class offering, have existing owners of Kaleidescape systems decided whether thery're going to upgrade their KPLAYER's?

I put "considering", but for now, it's really a NO for me, unless they elaborate a bit more on future plans and/or managed copy comes out.

I've been giving this a great deal of thought since the "big" announcement and have come to the conclusion that I will be upgrading. My major dissapointment is the PCM/Meridian conflict but the reality is that my entire family loves the K system. Having the ability to at least play Blu immediately and the new HD UI are good enough for now.

It is probably worth noting that I'll be moving from a K5000 to the M500 so the upgrade also gets me 1080p for standard DVDs.

I'll be upgrading ALL of my Players (my posts explain why).

I wanted to add that we have clients that are not part of this forum, so will not be voting, but they have been following the discussions and indicated to me that they will be upgrading as well (3 so far). These are people that would select #1 if they were voting, they buy because the want the latest components.

Jim

Im in the middle- Im thinking about it- because I would upgrade when the next gen players that I hope decode internally come out.

My family could care less about BR- its just me on that- so I just need BR for 2 rooms and since K doesnt deliver what I want right now- I have a poor mans substitute that will tide me over. I will wait and see. Also the fact that they didnt do the right thing in my eyes does leave a bitter taste in my mouth...

FWIW, I know a few K owners that are not upgrading for any number of reasons.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, I chose definitely not, because it does not deliver. However, I would qualify that with an "at this time." There just seems to be more missing than added with the first-gen M-class offering. Maybe by the time the vaults are ready (and of size) the second-gen players will be ready to fill in the gaps.

I haven't posted in a while, but I got one M500 player at first, then got 2 more M500's because I was so impressed by the new features (movie list cover art, resolution of cover art/graphics/onscreen display)...all of our customers will upgrade once they see it/experience it...it really is a fantastic additional feature to have - watching Blu Ray and enjoying the Kaleidescape experience at the same time. The inconvenience of having to make sure the disc you wish to view is in a player is a minor issue, and once the vault is out, that will disappear...I am very happy with my purchase/upgrade. To me, this is very similar to the evolutionary progress of a Porsche 911...the 997.2 (current model) looks simiilar to the earlier models, offers many of the same features, but is only better in many key ways, and worth upgrading to if they suit your budget and priorities!

I just want to say that the reason the M-Class doesn't do what I was expecting has nothing to do with the disk-in-drawer issue that I actually don't have a huge problem with. But the down-resolution on the audio is a deal killer for me.

I've decided to jump onboard early for many reasons but slowly moving some of my BD's to the server now will save a painful process later, especially if the Vault is not a bulk loader. I can live with the disc in player for a little while but will be quite narked if I have to wait 3 years to see the Vault!!

K has delivered on pretty much everything they said they would so I have faith in them for the future.

Rgds

Panamar

True but then you would not have to spend the extra money on the vault for better functionality so no one would be upset with that. My point is I think K got over the big hurdles to make a legal server with their current setup. The only hurdle they have to address is the in the drawer issue which the vault would do.

Unless ofcourse managed-copy makes it useless.

That would certainly be a help going forward, but unless the content owner's offer some sort of BR exchange program it would not work for my current collection (800+ BR), none of which has the proper coding on the disc to allow for MC. (This assumes that is in fact how MC will work if it is ever released.) In my case, and I suspect others as well, the disc loader/vault would solve that problem.

Jim

One of my players has a bum drive and has worked like crap for ages, so I ended up getting a BR player as a replacement (with the upgrade credit). I've stuck planet earth in there and the quality and start up time seems pretty good.

Since that's one of the few blu's I own at the moment (and will actually rewatch), it'll just sit in the drive unless I need it for an import.

I just got my first 2 M-Class players. I will likely get a couple M-class miniplayers in the near future. I haven't even hooked my new players up yet - just put them in the den to finish loading the last of my unloaded films to the server.

The GUI is pretty slick. My projector in the theater is still 720p (a 3-chip DLP) so I am not getting the full effect of the higher resolution but I already am impressed.

I will check out the BluRay soon. Have to get a few titles loaded and mine seem to take a lot longer than 1 hour and change each but I am loading multiple titles at once. I will have to check and make sure I don't have some part of my network choking the speed down to 100MBit somewhere. I thought I was full GigE in my house but I might have an old switch somewhere at 100MBit or something. It took over 2 hours for each disc from Firefly.

Yup, sounds like network. The longest BR I loaded was 1 hour 9 minutes.

Jim

Back