• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

So many great movies not on Kstore in 4K

I did not purchase it myself, and did not have any clients that did, so don't know the disc count. The description was:

Kaleidescape Collection: The Criterion Collection™ Catalog
The discriminating viewer recognizes the contributions of extraordinary filmmakers from around the world who have made cinema more than just entertainment. The Criterion Collection Catalog, assembled by Kaleidescape, delivers a diverse series of artistically superior films, created with the highest quality digital transfers and presented with insightful commentaries and award-winning supplemental material. This Collection provides access to the most thought-provoking and influential films of our time in a collectible and technically superior format.

Jim
Using the Internet Archive, I was able to find their Collections PDF from 2007 stating the number of discs--278. The later PDFs don't contain the count, unfrtunately.

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 7.19.57 AM.png

Nice find!

Jim

Using the Internet Archive, I was able to find their Collections PDF from 2007 stating the number of discs--278. The later PDFs don't contain the count, unfrtunately.

View attachment 4344
No discounts for buying them in bulk then. Criterion DVDs are $29.95 SRP.

Maybe the catalog was indeed only 278 titles. Criterion Collection begun with Citizen Kane (Spine #1) and King Kong 1933 (Spine #2) in 1984 on Laserdisc. They released The Third Man, The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps on VHS and Betamax on December 1985. No Spine numbers on the VHS and Betamax releases. No other VHS and Betamax releases followed. Criterion Collection started releasing DVDs on 1998 with Seven Samurai (Spine #2). Grand Illusion (Spine #1) restoration was delayed so it didn’t make it to the DVD launch. Criterion discontinued Laserdiscs on March 1999 with Armageddon (Spine #384) being the very last title. By this time, DVD releases reached to Spine# 40 (Armageddon DVD release). I believe Criterion Collection spine numbers were a bit over 300 in 2007, assuming some titles had gone OOP (i.e. Salo ;)), very possibly this 278 titles set included their entire active catalog.

Doesn't matter why. As a consumer it gives me no solace to know where the blame lies or to make excuses for Kaleidescape the company. What matters is the reality of content availability.
But in actuallity it does matter why. When we KNOW the reason is because those titles are all licensed by brands for exclusive release, it tells people that read and actually process information that those titles are not available because of the license agreements in place, not because Kaleidescape is actively NOT pursuing them. In some cases they get the titles (Silence of the Lambs, Great Escape, Wild Things and more), but more often than not they don't have an option for them.

So some people can just come in and whine like a 5 year old over and over again about it and may feel that makes a difference in some way, or some can take the information given and realize they can't have everything all the time.

Ok , i understand that they dont have agreement with Shout , Arrow , KL , Criterion .
But what is the excuse then not to have in store , in 4k , Color purple , Bronx tale , Rosemarys baby , Le mepris , Young guns ?

But in actuallity it does matter why. When we KNOW the reason is because those titles are all licensed by brands for exclusive release, it tells people that read and actually process information that those titles are not available because of the license agreements in place, not because Kaleidescape is actively NOT pursuing them. In some cases they get the titles (Silence of the Lambs, Great Escape, Wild Things and more), but more often than not they don't have an option for them.

So some people can just come in and whine like a 5 year old over and over again about it and may feel that makes a difference in some way, or some can take the information given and realize they can't have everything all the time.

Well this is certainly an uncharitable response to what I believe was a very reasonable comment and seems like a gross misunderstanding or mischaracterization of my point.

Ok , i understand that they dont have agreement with Shout , Arrow , KL , Criterion .
But what is the excuse then not to have in store , in 4k , Color purple , Bronx tale , Rosemarys baby , Le mepris , Young guns
For the same reason that every single digital retailer does not have these titles in UHD. The content rights holder has not yet released them for digital distribution at this point. Have you asked them?

For the same reason that every single digital retailer does not have these titles in UHD. The content rights holder has not yet released them for digital distribution at this point. Have you asked them?
I am assuming that because AppleTV has Young Guns in 4K (and this just happened in the last couple of weeks) that we can hopefully get it here. I'm guessing they may have some exclusivity for a limited time? The Abyss and Young Guns were two movies that finally broke out of the stalemate. Already purchased The Abyss here and will gladly purchase Young Guns when it comes available here(which I hope is soon).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 9.44.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-29 at 9.44.23 AM.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 6
I am assuming that because AppleTV has Young Guns in 4K (and this just happened in the last couple of weeks) that we can hopefully get it here. I'm guessing they may have some exclusivity for a limited time? The Abyss and Young Guns were two movies that finally broke out of the stalemate. Already purchased The Abyss here and will gladly purchase Young Guns when it comes available here(which I hope is soon).
Oooh, that’s a good catch. Yes, I assume that Young Guns and also Point Break will eventually make their way to the Kaleidescape store. I’m only singling out those two because they’re two of my favorites and I’ve been anxiously awaiting them, has nothing to do with the rest of that list.

I expect this is a very important issue within Kaleidescape, Inc.and I'm sure they are keenly aware of the challenges inherent in licensing content. It's a core component of their business model and I'm sure it's both complicated and difficult. My sense is that the licensing landscape is getting more difficult over time as streaming companies (and their profitability) evolves. I get the point. I got the point. My ability to read and process information is just fine.

My point remains that from a consumer's perspective that explanation is irrelevant. Kaleidescape's value proposition -- and the justification for their hardware prices -- has always been the promise of the best content, delivered as close to release as possible, in the best quality possible for consumer setups. Your favorite Kaleidescape dealer can recite the pitch in their sleep at this point.

Is that as true today as it was five years ago? Do I really care the why behind it? Not really.

If you're here on the forums as an advocate for the company Kaliedescape, Inc. then I get why the distinction matters to you. If you're in the industry and your livelihood depends to some degree on Kaleidescape's continued viability then I also get why the distinction matters to you.

If you're an end user evaluating the Kaleidescape product value proposition, then the difference doesn't really matter much at all. Does the platform provide the promise enough to justify the expense. That's what matters.

Hope this helps clarify my position.

@KDeering I'm going to assume I caught you at a bad moment and we got off on the wrong foot. I found the insults surprising, especially from a poster who is here representing their company. Hopefully going forward we can maintain that "positive mindset" and integrity you aspire to on your website. Both are laudable goals.

My one complaint with your posts on this topic is that you concentrate on the (relatively) few titles available on disc in 4K and missing from K while ignoring the ~700 titles available in 4K and not available on disc:

John

Okay guys, let's end the negativity here and go back to our usual friendly discussions. I've sent a few PM's please read those and keep this thread friendly. Thank you!

Jim

This dropped today.

This dropped today.

Thanks! Just purchased it. Was checking it out on Apple TV last night, even had a digital disk offer on it so was actually cheaper on K-Store than original Apple purchase.

Thanks! Just purchased it. Was checking it out on Apple TV last night, even had a digital disk offer on it so was actually cheaper on K-Store than original Apple purchase.
Just finished watching. This was a great candidate for the 4K HDR treatment, and really well done. Looked great!

Here are some 4K media that the content rights holder has released them for digital distribution that are missing from the K store that I could find.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition
Heavy Metal
The Last Dragon
A Bronx Tale
The Muppets Take Manhattan
The Nutty Professor
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Scream 3
Rosemary's Baby
The Naked Gun
Pet Sematary: Bloodlines
Aqua Teen Forever: Plantasm
Rocky II
Rocky III
Rocky V
Babylon 5: The Road Home
Lock Up
Red Heat
The Mist
The Wicker Man (1973)
R.I.P.D.

Here are some 4K media that the content rights holder has released them for digital distribution that are missing from the K store that I could find.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition
Heavy Metal
The Last Dragon
A Bronx Tale
The Muppets Take Manhattan
The Nutty Professor
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Scream 3
Rosemary's Baby
The Naked Gun
Pet Sematary: Bloodlines
Aqua Teen Forever: Plantasm
Rocky II
Rocky III
Rocky V
Babylon 5: The Road Home
Lock Up
Red Heat
The Mist
The Wicker Man (1973)
R.I.P.D.
Babylon 5: The Road Home is fake 4K on disc. I bought the HD download from K.

Back