• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

So many great movies not on Kstore in 4K

gpavlin73

When i first started buying movies in Kstore some 3 years ago , there was a lot of movies in 4k that were not avalible on discs .
But lately , this trend is changing , and there are a lot of movies that are avalible on discs , but not in Kstore .
I am talking about 4k movies , and i am talking about older movies .
The list is long , and what bothers me the most is complete silence from K , if any of those movies will ever apear in 4k in the store .
Few exemples :

- Fargo
- Usual suspects
- Natural born killers
-
Rosemary’s Baby
- Videodrome
- A Bronx tale
- The Others
- Le mepris
- Point break
- Thelma and Luise
- Young guns
- Silver bullet
- The color purple
- Days of heaven
- JFK

As said , K used to be famous to have the best quality movie is avalible in .
But sadly , that is not the case anymore lately . More and more great , older movies are coming out on discs in 4K , but we dont get them in the store .
It realy is a shame , as i would definately buy all those movies in a heartbeat .
But luckily , we are getting such " instant classics " like Five nights at Freddys , and Meg2 and Crossroads .

Many of these on your list are likely in “limbo” as the rights change hands from one studio to another and 4K remasters are being done/released. Whether we receive the new versions on K and when will depend on the studios. Several of the boutique studios seem to be shutting out ALL digital services, not just K.

Point Break and JFK are two titles I own on K in HD and still have access to that are in that situation. Other titles from that list such as Rosemary’s Baby and Young Guns are also known to be in limbo, but I don’t own them.

It’s not Kaleidescape, it’s the boutique disc imprints, and they’re locking all digital services out to maximize their disc sales.

The movies that are not in 4K/better sound at the K store I purchase on 4K Blu Ray. I would say about 10% are 4k Blu Ray.

I share your sentiment. The rights-issues are at fault, of course. From your list, some of the titles are out on Criterion (like "The Others.") And I'm sure Criterion has some exclusivity clauses in their own contracts to release titles. Same with Kino Lorber ("Fargo," "Usual Suspects.") On the other hand, other titles released by those studios did make it to digital platforms ("Silence of the Lambs," "Man With No Name" trilogy, " "Uncut Gems.") So it's all very inconsistent.

I am surprised "Rosemary's Baby" did not get upgraded to 4K since it is not a boutique studio release. (Ditto director's cut of "The Exorcist.") But... it is what it is.

Many of these on your list are likely in “limbo” as the rights change hands from one studio to another and 4K remasters are being done/released. Whether we receive the new versions on K and when will depend on the studios. Several of the boutique studios seem to be shutting out ALL digital services, not just K.

Point Break and JFK are two titles I own on K in HD and still have access to that are in that situation. Other titles from that list such as Rosemary’s Baby and Young Guns are also known to be in limbo, but I don’t own them.

It’s not Kaleidescape, it’s the boutique disc imprints, and they’re locking all digital services out to maximize their disc sales.

Doesn’t matter why. It is a fact though. I’ve noticed the same as op

But luckily , we are getting such " instant classics " like Five nights at Freddys , and Meg2 and Crossroads .
Leave Meg2 in peace, from an Atmos mixing aspect, if you have competent ceiling speakers it was one of the best soundtracks of 2023. In contrast Disney , Marvel, Fox etc. are doing home autoremixing with tops neutering set to the hilt.

Please make sure to go complain to the studios withholding the releases then, if you’re going to complain about Kaleidescape not having them available.
Doesn't matter why. As a consumer it gives me no solace to know where the blame lies or to make excuses for Kaleidescape the company. What matters is the reality of content availability.

Doesn't matter why. As a consumer it gives me no solace to know where the blame lies or to make excuses for Kaleidescape the company. What matters is the reality of content availability.

I am with Trillcat on this one. A lot of the titles being mentioned here were restored by boutique labels and aren’t available on any digital platform.

For Uncut Gems, that was a day one 4K release on digital platforms before the Criterion release.

Yeah, and it's all Nvidia's fault why Linux has crappy video drivers for their cards. That kind of finger pointing doesn't really matter to people who are just here to watch films in the best quality they can at home.

Leave Meg2 in peace, from an Atmos mixing aspect, if you have competent ceiling speakers it was one of the best soundtracks of 2023. In contrast Disney , Marvel, Fox etc. are doing home autoremixing with tops neutering set to the hilt.
Meg 2 was a fine movie too.

We had access to Criterion content back in the early days. K was offering various Blu-ray and DVD Collections, and one was the Criterion Collection. These were disc based sets sold by K for Premiere systems, before digital content was made available. I found an old list of some of the collections. Just for fun, here was the Collections list from 2009.

The Best of Blu-ray (Blu-ray)845
KCOLL-0800Kaleidescape's Critics 150 (DVD)3,495
KCOLL-1300The New York Times Best DVDs (DVD)5,895
KCOLL-1100-BFamily Collection (Blu-ray)745
KCOLL-1100Family Collection (DVD)1,595
KCOLL-1700-BDisney Collection (Blu-ray)1,845
KCOLL-1700Disney Collection (DVD)1,895
KCOLL-1000Preschool Collection (DVD)995
KCOLL-0500-BAcademy Award Winners - Best Picture (Blu-ray)845
KCOLL-0500Academy Award Winners - Best Picture (DVD)1,195
KCOLL-0600-BAcademy Award Nominees - Best Picture (Blu-ray)2,645
KCOLL-0600Academy Award Nominees - Best Picture (DVD)5,695
KCOLL-0300The Criterion Collection Catalog (DVD)8,295
KCOLL-1400Sports Collection (DVD)1,395

Jim

The Collection was for "The Criterion Collection Catalog" that existed at that time (I can't confirm it was the complete catalog, but I believe it was....for $8,295).

Jim

The Collection was for "The Criterion Collection Catalog" that existed at that time (I can't confirm it was the complete catalog, but I believe it was....for $8,295).

Jim
That’s a good price if for their entire catalog, assuming it was around 350-450 titles at the time.

That’s a good price if for their entire catalog, assuming it was around 350-450 titles at the time.

I did not purchase it myself, and did not have any clients that did, so don't know the disc count. The description was:

Kaleidescape Collection: The Criterion Collection™ Catalog
The discriminating viewer recognizes the contributions of extraordinary filmmakers from around the world who have made cinema more than just entertainment. The Criterion Collection Catalog, assembled by Kaleidescape, delivers a diverse series of artistically superior films, created with the highest quality digital transfers and presented with insightful commentaries and award-winning supplemental material. This Collection provides access to the most thought-provoking and influential films of our time in a collectible and technically superior format.

Jim

Back