• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Silence of Lambs 4k question

JWB2

Does anyone know if the 4khdr KScape version has the same color grading error in the first 20 minutes that the KLorber 4k disc does?

If so, perhaps the KScape 4kuhd version is ok/error free without the hdr grading?

Hoping to know for sure before I purchase versus just keeping my criterion BD

I will try to check later my download, but I found this old discussion on the blu-ray forum. (That's a screen grab that person posted at their link).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 12.03.06 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 12.03.06 AM.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 33
  • eizOJm8_d.jpg
    eizOJm8_d.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 34
So I checked my download again and honestly, I don't see anything strange. I don't have the Kino Lorber disc, so can't compare. From that blu-ray thread it seems one of the big issues was that the whites were extremely blown out in the first 20 mins? There was a photo posted that indeed showed the scene of Scott Glenn in his office with his white shirt glowing like a nuclear blast. I watched up to that scene and if that's the issue in question, it definitely was not that blown out coming from K. I could see the folds and the grain on his white shirt. My image was very similar to the screen grab the poster referenced above made. I took a photo too, but my phone begins to compensate colors and lighting based on what it thinks is best (because it knows better than I do), so my photo is not an accurate representation of what I was seeing on screen. So take this picture with a grain of salt - it is more orange than the actual image on my screen (a 4K laser JVC projector, calibrated).

Attachments

• tempImagev1EcZD.png
    tempImagev1EcZD.png
    6 MB · Views: 14
Did you buy the download and did you watch it? I'm curious if K has the right version or the problems Kino Lorber's discs had.
I bought it but I have not watched it yet. I’m out of town until next week so I’ll try to watch it then and let you know.

I watched it last year and don't recall it looking bad, take that with a grain of salt as I'm not a videofile, IMO it actually wasn't that much different than
The Criterion Collection BD, which also looked great. I have it downloaded and plan on watching it again soon.
If you don't find the HDR version to your liking then the UHD version would be a good option.
Let us know what you think, thanks!

Back