• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Should Kaleidescape have a remote?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I can understand the logic behind not having a remote control... many owners will have existing remotes or touchpanels programmed by their installers.

But I, for one, would have loved to receive a well-designed remote control from Kaleidescape. As a device used often by kids and guests, there's nothing easier than a clean remote with hard-buttons, and real labels on those buttons saying what they do.

Maybe Kaleidescape could offer one as an option on their website. I'd buy a few.

I'm sure it's not a priority for them, but thought I'd lob it here and see what others think.

Note: Some of what I say here may be well known to some of you, but I have included it in case there are more basic users browsing the forums.

The problem is that as the system evolves, new features will be added (take Music, for example) that would then have people wanting additional buttons for those functions. Even though the player hardware might be the same, the remote would be somewhat obsolete once new features are added. Sure, you don't need discrete buttons for the Music List, Music Cover Art, etc but people would ask for it especially given the system's price. So they then have to roll out a new remote each time or offer something that can grow.

There are all hard buttoned remotes which have flexibility. The one that comes with my MC-12 has 3 zone buttons and a shift button which allow for the other buttons to do multiple actions. In the case of the MC-12, some buttons didn't have an alternate command in the shift mode and were therefore "reserved for future use" so that they could be added when the firmware is upgraded with new features. The problem there is that it's so hard to remember what those shifted functions are. So I, like many other Lex owners, use a programmable remote instead with a display where we can name functions.

I prefer the Universal Remote Control line. Their remotes generally have quite a few hard buttons in addition to an LCD at the top for programmable functions that you can name. The line is very good, so much so that several HT manufacturers have rebranded one of Universal's models to offer with their surround processors. This, of course, allows those manufacturers to easily upgrade the configuration of the remote when new features are added. It also doubles as a great universal remote for the rest of your equipment of course.

So, the best solution for K would probably be a programmable remote. Since various users will have their own preferences as to which they like best, K probably decided that they shouldn't bother offering one. Instead, they give out the codes and even device layouts for several brands. Beyond that, the player is compatible with basic DVD codes for several brands so that you can buy cheap hard button universals to let the kids use.

Jeff

I would like to see a Kscape remote, as I'm not entirely happy with my Crestron set-up, I only like the Kscape in my house but would rather not have the whole "control" concept for the rest of the house.

Initially, K likely believed the remote was unnecessary because of the way a system was being integrated into the home/boat/plane. With the "new" entry level system, perhaps K will offer a remote going forward. As a "second" (or alternative) remote, I find the "nevo" is fun to use with the K. It is not a "2 way" remote, so there is no cover art, but you are able to display two screens (I'm still beta testing) that allow for full control of movies and music. Of course, there are other templates available from K to be used with other remotes as well.

Jim

I've always wanted to play a bit with the Nevo system, but they seem to keep everything tied to dealer access. I don't have a problem with that but it does limit a geek like me from experimenting and playing with it to see how well it works. Jim, do you have any screenshots perhaps of the K layout on a Nevo? Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff,
I deal for Nevo as well, so access is no problem. I do not have screen shots. You can design it anyway you like. I got my basic download from K, but you can go into the program with the "Nevo studio" and set up buttons, etc.. You are correct that they like to "control" the programming software, but we can talk.

Jim

Jeff,
I just sent you a PM.
Jim

Back