• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Should I pull the trigger on HD D2D offers?

kob

I have a bunch of D2D offers for movies in HD quality for $3.14. It's extremely unlikely I will ever watch these movies in HD on my Kscape when I can watch them in UHD/HDR using my 4k bluray player. So is it worth it for me to buy them in HD now and then possibly pay to upgrade them to UHD/HDR in the future when these movies are out in UHD/HDR? Or is it more cost effective to wait?

I've been burned too many times converting to HD, only to have the 4K released to the store shortly after. I stopped converting to HD a while ago and will almost only ever convert straight to 4K.

Unless it's something I really want on K and really don't think a 4K is coming anytime soon (famous last words), such as The Red Violin.

I've been burned too many times converting to HD, only to have the 4K released to the store shortly after. I stopped converting to HD a while ago and will almost only ever convert straight to 4K.

Unless it's something I really want on K and really don't think a 4K is coming anytime soon (famous last words), such as The Red Violin.
Do you know the cost for converting to HD and then upgrading the 4k vs the cost of just converting to 4k?

Do you know the cost for converting to HD and then upgrading the 4k vs the cost of just converting to 4k?
It's the same cost to get 4K whether you've already converted to HD or not.

Prices varies by studio, but for the ones that are worth converting it's typically $3.14 to convert to HD and $4.92 to convert to 4K. If you pay $3.14 to convert to HD and then the 4K is released, you'll still have to pay another $4.92. So in my opinion it's best to wait until the 4K is available and only pay the $4.92.

I buy them because I don’t want to risk it. In the past I had let a few titles sit in my digital offers for months then K lost the licensing of those. Now, I have to stuff back the Blu-ray disc versions into my Premiere system or give up on those titles.

I buy them because I don’t want to risk it. In the past I had let a few titles sit in my digital offers for months then K lost the licensing of those. Now, I have to stuff back the Blu-ray disc versions into my Premiere system or give up on those titles.
That's a great point. I don't think I've had that happen to me yet with my offers but definitely something to consider when trying to decide to bite the bullet or wait.

Well, I have an example now. Match Point is no longer available on the store. It had been sitting in my Digital Offers but was only available in HD, so I held off. Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't just buy it.

Going out on a limb and say pay the $3.14. You’ve already paid $7,000-10,000 for the K system to get the best in class. Additional $3.14 to get the ‘best’ doesn’t seem like much.
Thank you!

Well, I have an example now. Match Point is no longer available on the store. It had been sitting in my Digital Offers but was only available in HD, so I held off. Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't just buy it.
it is annoying, isn't it? I hate it when that happens to TV series. I am missing the second season of Continuum because I didn't buy it when it was available.

it is annoying, isn't it? I hate it when that happens to TV series. I am missing the second season of Continuum because I didn't buy it when it was available.
I do wish K would announce they're losing rights to a title. Can't imagine why they don't.

Would make a good upward trend graph in purchases (for that title, just delete the title from the legend) for the next QBR, 😂

Interesting idea. I'm not sure what our agreements say about this. I know that there are cases where we are prohibited from announcing when something is coming to the store. Don't know if there's any restriction on when it might be leaving. I also don't know how much advance notice we get. And of course, it's not too uncommon for a movie to leave the store because it's moving to another distributor, and we end up getting it back again after a short delay. So I wouldn't want people to feel like we're playing games by saying "it's leaving" only to have it return after a month or two.

Interesting idea. I'm not sure what our agreements say about this. I know that there are cases where we are prohibited from announcing when something is coming to the store. Don't know if there's any restriction on when it might be leaving. I also don't know how much advance notice we get. And of course, it's not too uncommon for a movie to leave the store because it's moving to another distributor, and we end up getting it back again after a short delay. So I wouldn't want people to feel like we're playing games by saying "it's leaving" only to have it return after a month or two.
I suggested this last year. I don’t recall who it was but the reply was negative.

Back