• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Setup for 2:35/2.40 screen - which device?

Rlewis

Just installed new Terra Server and Strato C. I have a Sony 6000ES projector with an anamorphic lens and a 2.35/2.40 wide screen that has masking on the sides for 16:9 content.

Both the Sony projector and the Strato have settings to adjust the screen ratio. What device do you recommend using for the changes in ratio? I can leave the anamorphic lens in place and adjust the ratio using the Sony’s V Stretch mode. I understand the Strato also has a cinescape mode for a similar adjustment. I don’t know which option would be ideal.

Suggestions?

Personally, I just left my Kaleidescape on default and do the switch through my projector. JVC user, but also with Anamorphic lens. Easier for me to use the quick projector toggle as needed than to change Kaleidescape options. Sure all setups vary though.

You really should be using Kaleidescape’s Cinemascape feature.

Leave the lens in place all of the time, set the projector to normal, set the player to CinemaScape 2.35 anamorphic, and everything just works. You don’t have to change settings based on the movie, it’s all automatic. This is probably my favorite feature of Kaleidescape. It does have some quirks with some non-standard AR movies and movies with changing aspect ratios, but that is pretty rare.

Leave the lens in place all of the time, set the projector to normal, set the player to CinemaScape 2.35 anamorphic, and everything just works. You don’t have to change settings based on the movie, it’s all automatic. This is probably my favorite feature of Kaleidescape. It does have some quirks with some non-standard AR movies and movies with changing aspect ratios, but that is pretty rare.
Baltz - if I switch to watch a game through my Apple TV, which will be 16;9, would I need to switch settings somewhere since I’m not using the Strato at that point? That’s where it gets confusing for me. How best to use it for all applications with the best visual performance and the easiest ‘switch’ for the appropriate settings.

I always leave the lens in place and my remote sets the scaling mode when it sets the input. For Kscape, the projector is on normal to let the Kscape handle the scaling. For all other 16:9 sources, I still leave the lens in place and have the remote set the projector to squeeze mode. This adds black bars to the sides and keeps the aspect ratio correct through the lens. If for some reason, you are watching 2.35 content on Apple TV or some other source, you can then manually change the projector to vertical stretch to fill the screen, but this has the side effect of cutting off menus. Unfortunately, there’s no good way around that.
Edit: clarified some wording

I have 2.40 screen and Panamorph Paladin lens that's suited for it (also stays in place), so for me it works better using projector on/off toggle. I'd get slight widescreen bars if I went with the Kaleidescape option.

If for some reason, you are watching 2.35 content on Apple TV or some other source, you can then manually change the projector to vertical stretch to fill the screen, but this has the side effect of cutting off menus. Unfortunately, there’s no good way around that.
You can use an external videoprocessor (Lumagen / madVR Envy) in combination with a control system to handle all the aspect ratio changes automatically. That would be the most convenient, but also the most expensive way of doing it.

Back