• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Set up Audio in kaleidescape

nrwatson

I would like my system to be set up so that the Audio processing is performed in my av processor rather than the player
However when I try this then I have problems with the hdmi output
Initially it works but but if I pause the movie the sound track no longer works and I get a screech through the speakers
If I turn off the av processor and turn it back on it works again or if I turn the projector on and off the sound will come back on again
This doesn't happen with any other source so must be a Kaleidescape problem
Thanks

I have the Anthem D2v as well as a Kaleidescape system with a Sony Projector VPL200. What you are describing is a classic HDMI handshake problem. By pausing the movie the connection is broken and the reboot of either end (D2v or Sim) reestablishes the signal intact. Because we have the same Kal and D2v and I do not have this problem either the sim loses the signal on pause or their might be an issue between the D2v and the Sim. One place to get the best answers for HDMI behaviour with this mix of equipment would be the AVS forum which has a specific thread on the D2v. I suspect you might be familiar with it as most D2v owners tend to rely on it for product support. There are really excellent resources on that thread and they can quickly identify known problems with all three equipment configurations that you have. Mr Pariseaux is an expert and spends a lot of time on that thread. Also the chief Anthem technical support person who is probably the best known resource on the planet when it comes to the D2v and HDMI handshake issues is a frequent member of that community as well. The screeching that you have identified has been noted previously so it will be very important that you have your current software version at your finger tips on that thread as that will be the first question you will be asked...

If you are not familiar with the thread I highly recommend it because of the expertise that resides there with exceptional talent when it comes to solving problems like this one. None of this is to say that the problem might not be with Kaleidescape but since we both have the same systems I suspect that something else is at play.......

Peter

+1 on what Peter said. I've had some experience with the D2 as well, and while it is an excellent unit when it is working, many folks have complained over the years about HDMI handshake issues, and as Peter said, what you are describing is a classic handshake issue. I doubt the K gear has any part in what you are seeing.

Jim

Thanks for the quick replies
It would appear to be coming from the Kaleidescape as no other sources have the problem I have a cheap Sony blue ray player which behaves impeccably as do the sky box and Apple TV sources. The work around has been to set up the Kaleidescape to process the audio and not use the bypass tried changes of cables etc but no effect.
I have also heard the same problem occurs with the Arcam processor
Thanks for the heads up on the D2V thread but tried two questions but no answers
Thanks again for your help and quick replies

Thanks for the quick replies
It would appear to be coming from the Kaleidescape as no other sources have the problem I have a cheap Sony blue ray player which behaves impeccably as do the sky box and Apple TV sources. The work around has been to set up the Kaleidescape to process the audio and not use the bypass tried changes of cables etc but no effect.
I have also heard the same problem occurs with the Arcam processor
Thanks for the heads up on the D2V thread but tried two questions but no answers
Thanks again for your help and quick replies

It is still likely an HDMI handshake issue. What I meant by my earlier comment is that the D2 has a history (although it is now much better according to current owners) of handshake issues. It may be fine with most components and still have a problem with one component. Each time the audio signal is stopped and then restarted the D2 must properly handshake with the sending component, and that has on occassion been reported as a problem with the D2. When I owned one ((admittedly several years ago), it played nice with everything in my system until I introduced a new BR player (K was not doing BR at the time), and then the issues started.

I realize it can be argued it's the sending device's problem, but it just sends the pass through audio bitstream, not yet decoded. There is nothing to "fix" in the sending device. Based on your description, it appears the Player is operating correctly because until you interrupt it, it plays back correctly. Normally, the processor is the last thing in the chain to be turned on and this assists with making a proper handshake. Anytime you interrupt the signal to the processor you run the risk of it not connecting correctly. None of this should be a problem, and you shouldn't have to worry about a proper sequence, but HDMI "lessons learned" over the years tells us otherwise, unfortunately.

I'd still follow Peter's advice and seek help (as you've done) in the referenced thread. Be patient, it may take a couple/few days to get a helpful answer. I'd also reach out to Anthem if necessary.

All of that said, I guess it is still possible a different player issue could be present, but doubtful IMO.

Jim

Thanks Jim
I have had the Anthem rep over and spent 4 hours going through things and his view was it was the Kaleidescape's problem he would :)
This has been a long term problem and keen to get to the bottom of it
The work round has been to leave the player decode ticked and avoid the Bitstream pass-through but this makes my 7.1 system a bit superfluous
Have left a message on the AVSforum again left two in early december but didnt get any replies
Thanks again Neale

Hopefully you'll find a solution soon.:)

Jim

Thanks Jim
I have had the Anthem rep over and spent 4 hours going through things and his view was it was the Kaleidescape's problem he would :)
This has been a long term problem and keen to get to the bottom of it
The work round has been to leave the player decode ticked and avoid the Bitstream pass-through but this makes my 7.1 system a bit superfluous
Have left a message on the AVSforum again left two in early december but didnt get any replies
Thanks again Neale

Neale, while I am not one to let Kaleidescape off the hook......what you describe has been discussed a number of times in the D2v thread and has never come up in this forum to my knowledge. The exact behaviour of the failed reconnection and the screeching has been documented and debated. As you have noted when it comes to HDMI, the 'other' guy is always at fault. In your case, I assume, it really doesn't matter at this point as long as it gets fixed!!! The most common 'solutions' landing pad that I observed in the Anthem thread was the software version. I am an unqualified huge fan of Anthem. I believe it is the best device on the planet for what it does with no equal. I'm sure that statement (pun intended) will invoke some religious debate in this environment BUT one of the reasons I respect the company was the enormous effort they put into fixing unresolved HDMI issues in the early days when standards were being ignored by many manufacturers. In some cases, Oppo being one, Anthem worked company to company to find a fix and did not debate who was responsible but fixed it. Although there have been huge advances in stability there are still the occasional bumps which I believe (I haven't been as active on the thread over the last year) are still being resolved by Anthem. It is absolutely worthwhile raising the issue on the AVS forum and sending a support note to Nick at anthem. I say this because as much as I like Kaleidescape they would not be familiar with this problem and would unlikely devote any resources to it where Anthem would. So a fix if there is one will I believe likely come from Anthem. I know they have the ability even though they live in an ' Unsupported Territory' like myself.

Neale, none of this is meant to throw stones at any manufacturer (at least not yet) but I do understand your frustration and I sincerely believe a determined thrust into Anthem will go along way to giving you what you want......peace and stability after each pause!!!

Just out of curiosity what is the software version in your D2v? I'll check it against mine(I just did and the version is 2.11).........you should also pose the question on the D2v thread about any known HDMI issues with the software you are running. I know its a pain in the a$$ to update but it could provide the relief you are looking for. Nick has even been known to send an individual update to you if he is aware of a possible fix. It certainly is worth a try if its important to you.

Peter

ps...I see you are running the latest version of the software 3.09f so we can rule that out....Now I have to update mine although everything is working well and I'm sure it will probably mess everything up.!!!!

Last edited:
I realize this just adds to your costs but how about something like this:

http://www.gefen.com/gefentoolbox/gtbproduct.jsp?prod_id=9605

Its a HDMI splitter but I believe it allows you to use its internal EDID (the handshake code)- put it in between your K player and Anthem- I believe it **should** resolve your handshaking issues. (Please double check before spending your money- just throwing up something to check out).

Back