• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Server Static or Dynamic IP address?

lgimene

I have a question: which is better, setting the server with a static or dynamic IP address?

If I understood correctly the instructions given in the installer interface, K recommends a dynamic ip address.

I am not sure this is better as I believe the communication between server and players would be more stable if the server has a fixed IP address instead of a DHCP assigned dynamic address which changes all the time.

I have one server on static and the other on dynamic. It just works, it's not something you need to think too much about.

I use only static (fixed) IP addresses. After years of getting client calls because of duplicate IP addressing while using DHCP, we moved to fixed only and this has significantly reduced the number of network problem calls.

Jim

I split the difference and use DHCP reservations. So my Kaleidescape components remain configured for DHCP (dynamic IP addresses) but on my router, I have created component specific IP reservations which guarantees that each component always gets the same IP address.

If you are using a control system that communicates with your Kaleidescape system via TCP/IP then static IPs or DHCP reservations are highly recommended.

I split the difference and use DHCP reservations. So my Kaleidescape components remain configured for DHCP (dynamic IP addresses) but on my router, I have created component specific IP reservations which guarantees that each component always gets the same IP address.

If you are using a control system that communicates with your Kaleidescape system via TCP/IP then static IPs or DHCP reservations are highly recommended.

Although I have yet to pull the trigger on K-system but hope to do so shortly I use the DHCP reservations for everything -- and I do mean everything -- in my home as it makes it much easier to "move things around" as more stuff comes into the house because the "move" is all done on the router...

I initially used dynamic then moved to fixed to increase network stability.

I never thought of using reservations.....something I will look into for new equipment.

Dynamic is fine with DHCP address reservations (unless you have to change the network card somewhere) and static is fine with good and well maintained documentation. I use both and maintain good documentation for all my devices and control systems but then I work in IT so documentation comes naturally.

I use DHCP reservations also. I have had great success with this method. I don't do it for everything (iPhones, iPads come to mind), but I do for most things that tend to stay in place.

Discussing IP addresses, you can get a quick look at your current K components by using the "LSKD.html" after my-kaleidescape.

i.e. my-kaleidescape/lskd.html

Jim

As a follow-up, one of the arguments in favour of DHCP reservations over fixed IPs is that if you change something in your overall network configuration (such as default gateway, DNS server IPs, expand your netmask to allow for a larger number if IP addresses, etc), you only have to make the change on your router and the information automatically propagates to all of your devices (Kaleidescape and non-Kaleidescape alike). If you go the fixed IP route, you would have to edit the IP settings for every player, server, reader, vault, etc individually.

Yeah, thats basically why I did it. Of course if your router needs replacement you have to reprogram those reservations.

Very interesting on the LSKD page. I didn't know that. Thanks!

This has been very instructive for me in helping to analyze the pros and cons of both options.
Based on the feedback provided, I guess DHCP reservations is the way to go.

Croptop points are good ones as this simplifies network maintenance and self adjusts as the network grows and evolves making it less prone less prone to the type of errors associated with manual entering of the data.

Croptop always provides the very best advice!:)

Jim

Back