• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

server offline suddenly

Yeah, I suspect that replication time is going to become an issue in the future. With a fully loaded 3U server, it would take 48 days to replicate the content off it and into a new server. I had a theory for a system that could replicate the content in 48 hours or less, but I don't know if Kaleidescape wants to build one for facilitating upgrades for clients who want to upsize their capacities. As we get larger hard drives, they will eventually have to address this, I think.

Sounds very interesting. What did you have in mind, out of curiosity? With a Gigabit connection, running at wire speed, you could get approximately 10.8TB/day, assuming each device and the network itself were running at max performance, and effectively no overhead. And assuming my simple math is correct!

I figured you could build a special server with multiple arrays and program them to copy each drive to a new larger drive simultaneously so that they can get all drives running at max speed and do the data transfer over something much faster than Ethernet.

Ah, gotcha. That would be something which could be sold as a service by K, then. It would definitely require very specialized hardware, relative to something we could buy off the shelf and use at home or even as a dealer.

Yes, but it would not tie up a second 3U server for a month or longer doing a replication. And while the content would be unavailable if you had to send your drive array in, the entire process would be done so much faster. After all, as soon as you start a replication, you lose access to your entire library from the source server and it only becomes available as it is copied over (and they copy most recent titles first so older stuff isn't there so quickly).

No, I see the value, but it definitely seems to be a factory-only option, if it ever even became reality. But sure, if you could have them dupe a 3U in three days, even shipping out 3 Day, and having them return it 3 Day, would still be WAY faster than doing a typical rep in the client's network.

If they wanted to get really fancy, I would think they could develop a module that plugs directly into the servers' bays to replicate between the two SAS controllers. Would just have to be careful to only use the hot spare slot if on fully-loaded servers. Might also require no importing to the new array, but not the worst trade-off for such a significant performance boost.

(Though having its head cut-off 12-times and still kicking... *shudder* that's some seriously creepy stuff.)

Back