• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Second system download question

djb_rh

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
So I bought a second server to put at my vacation house along with a non-M class player, so it'll be limited to DVD quality only of my download purchases, which is fine for now.

I activated it. Now I'm going through the web interface to download. But I don't see any way to do a bulk download of all my purchases in *only* DVD quality. I see how I can select them one at a time and do it that way, but the "Download All..." wizard doesn't seem to afford me that option in bulk, it just wants to do the HD versions.

Am I missing something, or do I have to select them one at a time?

--Donnie

Nevermind, I am dumb. You "sort" to DVD quality on the sidebar on the left first, THEN click "Download All...". Got it now.

--Donnie

"Norman argues that in most cases this isn?t so. The designer is to blame because they produced something that?s not easy to understand or something that lets errors and misuse happen. If we have trouble using something then it?s probably because that thing is badly designed, rather than us being stupid."

http://usabilitypost.com/2010/11/17/the-design-of-everyday-things/

It's a great book and an interesting perspective - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Design_of_Everyday_Things

Error leads to improvement.

Jay

A better design would understand the player/system is DVD only and present only those download options. I'm not saying that's simple, only that such a design would be better and eliminate confusion.

A better design would understand the player/system is DVD only and present only those download options. I'm not saying that's simple, only that such a design would be better and eliminate confusion.

They aren't that far away, because the web interface does tell me "No M-Class players" or some such nonsense about this particular server (which is correct). It just doesn't default to only showing me the non-HD content. Guessing it wouldn't be hard to add, it's just not a huge priority.

I didn't bother to check, which seems dumb in retrospect, but could I have done a server replication from my other server of *just* the non-HD content? Hmm. Nothing offered me that option because I didn't put it on the same network as my other server, so they can't see one another right now.

--Donnie

You can't do a replication exactly like that, but you can put all the HD content in the trash, then replicate, then take the HD content back out of the trash. Not elegant, but it works. It also allows you to remove content that you don't want to replicate by adding it to the trash first, which also speeds up the replication time - a good thing since you cannot access content on the source server during replication.

Ah, good to know. It's probably just as easy at this point to re-rip the stuff I want, especially since none of my download purchases would come over since I *only* have them in HD on the main server.

--Donnie

Back