• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Rogue One

Anyone received this title to their library yet?

Got a store receipt, but still waiting on it appearing :confused:

It shows up on my system. I haven't tried playing it yet - was looking forward to it tonight.

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Shows up everywhere except in my list on the Strato.

All the web interfaces show it as having been downloaded, but nothing on the GUI

Rogue On - only 5.1

The problem with purchasing Rogue One is it is only has a 5.1 audio track and the Blu-ray has 7.1. Will have to purchase the Blu-ray tomorrow unless the 7.1 is added tomorrow.

I was wondering about this too - why is it different? Is that a pre-order thing? I couldn't wait since I didn't get to see it in the theater, but it would be good if it would be updated in the future. Another proof point that it would be good to have a filter on "improvements available" that could regularly be checked for re-download. Better yet, just auto-download and replace the old copy when done.

I believe it has to do with what the studios give to Kaleidescape. If they gave them the 7.1 audio mix, then Kaleidescape would use it. You might find the audio on a movie is 5.1 when you downloaded it and then one day its updated to the 7.1 mix. I think Kaleidescape does this automatically for you.

As to Rogue One, I think you can't download it unless you opt in to the Disney terms and conditions, which would then make it impossible to import the Blu Ray. I suppose you could still spin the Blu Ray if the extra 2 channels are critical for you.

I can tell you the download looks and sounds great.

You might find the audio on a movie is 5.1 when you downloaded it and then one day its updated to the 7.1 mix. I think Kaleidescape does this automatically for you.

Sadly they don't - at the moment, you have to monitor the store for changes, delete the original file and re-download the new version.

Agreed though about the current version and audio stream.

I understand it is the studios that is not releasing the complete audio mix with the releases. The only reason I can think of is a marketing ploy to get you to purchase the disk first to get the complete audio mix. Fox only distributes Dolby Atmos with their 4K blu-rays; Sony recently did that with "Passengers". Sony released this movie to Kaleidescape in 4K with Dolby Atmos and I purchased it as soon as it was available. Disney does not include the Dolby Atmos track on their movies and will probably wait until next year to re-release their movies with 4K and Dolby Atmos. Some of the older 4K blu-rays I purchased are now getting the Dolby Atmos track added to the Kaeidescape library, like the Tarzan movie.
I do have a Dolby Atmos theatre and it is important to me to have the best audio track that is being distributed by the studio.

Sadly they don't - at the moment, you have to monitor the store for changes, delete the original file and re-download the new version.

Agreed though about the current version and audio stream.

Really? I thought they updated automatically like how its supposed to work for ATMOS...

This is correct - even for Atmos titles. Currently the only thing that updates automatically is the LIST of Atmos titles. When there are titles with a new soundtrack, we will have to delete and re-download.

John

Thats kind of a bummer... I will have to pay more attention to updates then... Thanks for the info guys!

As to Rogue One, I think you can't download it unless you opt in to the Disney terms and conditions, which would then make it impossible to import the Blu Ray. I suppose you could still spin the Blu Ray if the extra 2 channels are critical for you.

This is correct, isn't it? I haven't seen anyone comment on this but I have always assumed this would be how it would work which is why I have never opted in to Disney - I would love to buy more from the store but I don't like the restriction of only being able to download from the store

As I understand it, it was something they had to do in order to get Disney content. I don't think anyone loves this restriction, but, at least for me, in practice, its not really such a big deal. And I like the convenience of downloading the movies vs waiting for discs. So I opted in.

On the one hand you could say this is expensive equipment so we should be getting all the digital assets; but on the other hand, Kaleidescape is not a big company and we are lucky they are still operating. I see it both ways...

To be able to download Disney owned/controlled content from the K Store, the system requesting the download must opt-in to the Disney terms and conditions, the most significant of which is giving up the right to import future Disney content from a disc into the Premiere Server (or Servers) of the system opting-in. Any Disney content existing on the Server at the time of the opt-in, remains playable, it is only a restriction on future disc imports (of Disney content). This includes both BR and DVD content. After opting-in, Disney content can only be added to Kaleidescape Servers by downloading from the K Store.

Jim

Just to clarify this, Jim... isn't it true that you CAN download disney content like Star Wars: Rogue One to a Stratos system without opting in... even if you have a paired Premier system? It will download only to your Stratos system.

You are correct, downloading Disney titles to a combined system (Premiere/Encore) sends the download to the Encore component and does not cause an opt-in for Premiere. You can still do physical disc imports of Disney content to the Premiere line.

Jim

Back