• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Replication requirements

Being total Newby to the forum, sorry for asking a question, that might have been discussed, but i failed to find anything about it here.
To get Replication enabled by Kaleidescape support are there any requirements or preconditions?
If i have 2 separate grandfathered premier systems (1U and 3U), acquired from the second-hand market, and both now registered in my name, and i ripped my DVDs collection to one of the systems, can replication be enabled, so i just copy the contents of one system to another?
Can there be any limitations imposed because of second-hand nature of the units even if they are properly registered to the new owner?

I am not aware of any limitations and certainly in the past when I have bought used Kaleidescape hardware there weren't and I was able to replicate from old to new (A to B or B to A) without issue once the replication option was enabled by Kaleidescape support on the servers. Just drop them a mail with your server S/N and store email account address and all should be quickly enabled. support@kaleidescape.com

Mark is right. There are no limitations just ask your dealer or email Kaleidescape directly and they can enable replication.

Thanks very much, that is all quite encouraging, as it did not work through the dealer, i will apply to Kaleidescape support, will keep the thread posted, thanks

Some systems will show in the dealer's extranet as not being eligible for Replication, so this might be what your dealer encountered, but there can be different reasons for this and K Support can either explain why, or can authorize Replication.

Jim

I think we have not got that far there, the process has stopped at naming product as "second life" (obtained in the secondary market), therefore not eligible - though it really seemed that he just thought i was planning to copy someone's library. At this point i decided to ask the Forum for opinion. Will hopefully resolve that with the central support!

A quick question, because this has bitten somebody before -- are you intending to keep both systems? Will they be installed at separate locations?

I ask because I know of a situation where a customer previously bought two servers secondhand, and ended up replicating all the data from one to the other, and then combining the two into a single system. This causes some indigestion in the database that requires a support escalation to our engineering team to resolve.

If you're intending to move the content to the other system because you're selling the one that has it now, or you're putting them in separate locations, this issue won't be a factor for you.

Thanks, and then when i know how it works i will hopefully buy another system for a third location and will bother the Forum with the question of how many replications are at all possible from one source!

There is no limit on how many times you can replicate from a server (other than perhaps a wear and tear limitation on drives).

Jim

Hello again to all members reading this and great thanks for your support! The central Kaleidescape Support has ENABLED the replication for me (and also provided some very valuable info on the current state of hard drives in my system). The Support was great and I love this forum!!!

Nice, but to be expected from Kaleidescape Support!:)

Jim

Back