• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Replication Notes

JohnJ

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Well, I finally pulled the triger and upgraded to a 3U server. This was my first time to go through the replication process and I learned a lot of things that I did not know. If you have gone through this before you probably already know all of this but I thought it would be helpful for the people going through this the first time to have an idea of what happens.

1) K says it takes approximately 1 day for each 1TB of data that needs to be replicated. In my case, I had 12TB so this estimate was 12 days. The actual was 10.5 days so a little faster than expected.

2) The notes say you can actually replicate up to five source servers to the same destination server simultaneously. I didn't do this since there are drawbacks. I don't know if doing these simultaneously slows things down or if would actaully save time to do this.

3) Any source server you are relicating from is UNAVAILABLE for use during the entire process. Because of this I didn't want to tie up both my systems by doing simultaneous replications. I wanted to be able to access the content on the server that was not being copied.

4) The content on the destination server can be accessed and viewed as it is copes over AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A PLAYER CONNECTED TO IT. Two caveats: you need to have your vault connected to the destination server to not have the BR content "greyed out". Also, the new server needs to be registered with the store otherwise all downloaded content is "greyed out". This is the part I didn't do correctly as I didn't do this before starting the process. Once replication has started you can't register the system as this will interupt the process (it restarts the server).

5) Once you start the replication process all you can see from the souce server is a replication report - it no longer shows up in the group with the rest of the equipment. While I was coping my 1U, I could see my C1 and M700 and I grouped the M500 to the 3U. If there was BR content on the 3U that I wanted to watch I would move the M700 over so that BR content would be authorized.

6) The replication report shows the total files copies out of the total to be copies and the estimated time left to complete. It then list each item as it is copied.

7) The date used for the "date content was added" is the date it was added to the SOURCE server and not the replicate date. The files are copied from newest to oldest.

That's all I have. I hope it helps to understand the process for people going through this the first time.

John

Really helpful John. I know #7 is new since I last did a replication. I remember bring mad when it was done that EVERY movie showed up as "new"... The import date had been set to the Replication date, not the original import date. Glad they fixed that.

Back